Samsung SH-S203B DVD Burner Problem

vbimport

Hello Guys,

I m having the AsRock 915 GL Motherboard… i got for myself a Samsung 20X SATA DVD-Writer With Octoedge ( SH-S203B ) today…

Now when i plug that onto my mobo and power up the computer , the PC starts displaying vertical and horizontal white lines , and i m just stuck at the POST…also , i am unable to access my BIOS at that time ! Therefore , i have to perform a direct switch off ! ( Even Ctrl+Del+Alt doesn’t work ! )

There’s no issue of power as the same problem persists even when i disconnect my HDD and Other DVD-Writer !

What can be the problem ? Is the motherboard having conflict with the Writer ?

As Soon as i disconnect the Writer , PC Works fine alongwith the display !

Thnx & Regards ,

BBThumbHealer

c’mon guys…no one there to address my problem ? :(… i didn’t expected this from a dedicated CD Forum …

Hi,[quote=BlackBerry7100g;2032867]c’mon guys…no one there to address my problem ? :(… [/quote]No bumping here :cop: This is not a commercial support hotline.

i didn’t expected this from a dedicated CD Forum …
The members of this forum post if they want and like, so no one can expect an answer at all. If you don’t like that, then it is better to contact the support department of Asrock and Samsung. But you should read the troubleshooting hints published on Asrock and Samsung websites before doing that.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2032956]Hi,No bumping here :cop: This is not a commercial support hotline.
The members of this forum post if they want and like, so no one can expect an answer at all. If you don’t like that, then it is better to contact the support department of Asrock and Samsung. But you should read the troubleshooting hints published on Asrock and Samsung websites before doing that.

Michael[/QUOTE]

My,my that was a little bit harsh mciahel :eek: all he was asking for was a little bit of help so he could use his new Samsung burner.
Yeah I agree that members are not required to answer any questions but most of us here likes to help fellow members out especially
helping out new members and making them feel welcomed here. :flower:

Now as for the OP original question it sounds like a SATA driver conflict to me but I’m no Intel man so I can’t say for sure I’m strictly
an AMD man myself. :confused:

It was a pretty quick bump. Sometimes you need to wait for more than a few hours.

Regards

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard BlackBerry7100g. :iagree: :clap:
I suspect that response has been almost non-existant, as most folk probably feel the answer has been covered enough already.
You SATA controller (Intel ICH6) doesn’t like SATA ODD’s.
You can try updating BIOS/DRIVER’s if you like.
But I believe you have two options.
Go back to IDE ODD’s.
Otherwise get a PCI SATA controller card.
Go for one that is based on a SiliconImage chipset.

What zebadee said.
Also, check your BIOS settings…see page 30 in the on-line manual.

If still no go, I would vote for the SiliconImage controller card.

Sry guys for bumping so early… :frowning: will follow the rules nxt time b4 posting,… :slight_smile:

@ zebadee , As far as updating of BIOS is concerned , there is an update available but i fear if anything goes wrong , my PC wud get spoiled !

will surely look for the PCI SATA controller card b4 returning to the IDE ! :slight_smile:

[quote=BlackBerry7100g;2033231]Sry guys for bumping so early… :frowning: will follow the rules nxt time b4 posting,… :slight_smile:

@ zebadee , As far as updating of BIOS is concerned , there is an update available but i fear if anything goes wrong , my PC wud get spoiled !

will surely look for the PCI SATA controller card b4 returning to the IDE ! :)[/quote]

That’s OK (the bumping bit).
It is easy to get frustrated when things don’t go according to plan.
As far the bios update goes.
If the update info contains no reference to the SATA controller.
(N.B. Even if it does, but no specific mention of ODD or DVDRW support.)
It is not worth trying anyway.

^ it just mentions , CPU microcode updated !

I would leave the bios alone then.
You only ever need to update bios, if/when experiencing problems.
Even then only if the update info relates to those specific problems etc.

Example of the type of PCI SATA card to look for.
BestBuy (USA).
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8552327&productCategoryId=abcat0507011&type=product&tab=7&id=1188562133392#productdetail
Komplett (Europe).
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=336525

^ thnx…but i enquired abt my problems from some technicians in my neighbourhood , their verdict is that the DVD-RW is faulty ! :(… will get it changed 2morrow. … most probably IDE !

I would still think about the PCI card aspect ( unless going to change motherboard in the near future).
If going for IDE DVDRW, then the Pioneer DVR-215(D) looks a good buy at present.

Hi… :slight_smile:

Ok…if u r quite sure for the PCI card , will give it shot before exchanging my writer for the IDE… :wink:

Thnx for following this thread…

It is difficult to write the 203 when your controller will give problems anyway.
So without a second PC capable of testing the drive.
A SATA PCI card seems like a good option.
Firstly you get to test the 203. Should it be faulty, there should still be some action with regards to a replacement etc. Open to you.
Secondly as they develope SATA DVDRW’s. We should start to see some advantages arise over IDE.

Hi,[quote=zebadee;2033097]
You SATA controller (Intel ICH6) doesn’t like SATA ODD’s.
[/quote]I haven’t expected this :eek: do you have additional information about that?
I am asking since the compatibility document on Samsung’s website states “OK” for ICH6 and Sata ODD.

Asuming, Samsung is not entirely wrong, then either a bad motherboard or a bad drive is the culprit. I’d suspect, it’s the motherboard (or some strange BIOS bug) since the issue described is too strange for a bad drive.

Michael

Hello Guys… :slight_smile:

Got it resolved finally on my own… :slight_smile: … there was a conflict due to the configuration of master and slave drives… :frowning:

i didn’t set the jumpers right…specified both the drives as master :smiley:

Thnx for ur contributions …

Master/Slave on sata? Can someone correct me here, but why do i think that SATA don’t have the master slave jumper, and only IDE devices have it.

Samsung Sata ODD don’t have jumpers at all. Perhaps the PATA drives were jumpered the wrong way and they crapped out at the time an additional drive was installed. I just wonder, why it worked before.:confused:

@BlackBerry: Fine you got it sorted :clap: :slight_smile: