Samsung sh-s203 bad flash

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203B / TS-H653B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi all, I’m new to posting questions, hope I’m in the right spot. I have gotten a lot of info off this great site. The problem is I have a Samsung sh-s203b that I did a auto firmware update from Samsungs website. The old version was sb02 and I think it tried to update to sb04. The firmware download paused before complete and said failed update. The PC rebooted and it showed the new version as boot. I tried several times and had the same problem. I then did a manual firmware download and it also got a failed update. After the reboot it would not recognize my drive. Is the drive dead or can I save it with a dos program such as MTKFLASH? I have ordered another one but would like to salvage this one it I can.

Hi and Welcome!

sorry to see that you had a bad flash. I suspect, this might be controller related, so please provide information about the Sata controller your drive is connected to and its configuration.

Mtkflash does not work with Sata drives, if I remember correctly. A (plain) DOS flasher for the 653B is available from Dell support website. For more information, please read the firmware chapter of the FAQ and the “Read First” about “how to flash firmware”.

I’d suggest to re-flash the drive connected to another Sata controller (that should be configured as IDE, and it should not be a Via controller).

Michael

I am running a P4M80-M4 Biostar motherboard with onboard sata, and it is a VIA chipset. I have a PNY sata pci controller card that I have tried connecting to on another pc but I’m not sure how you configure as a IDE. Please help

Randy

[quote=sparky57;2178143]I am running a P4M80-M4 Biostar motherboard with onboard sata, and it is a VIA chipset.[/quote]VT8237 southbridge. It has its own chapter in the FAQ.

I have a PNY sata pci controller card that I have tried connecting to on another pc but I’m not sure how you configure as a IDE.
What’s the chipset of that card? With many controller cards, it’s the firmware that determines if the card is Raid or non-Raid. I am only aware of Silicon Image based controller cards that can be converted by the end user (by applying the appropriate controller bios).

PNY server is so sloooow.
Ah! Got the manual: Seems, it’s SiI 3x12 based card. Excellent.
You may try to “flash” to non-Raid mode:
Go through this thread - http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/sata-ide-converter-235682/ - especially this post: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/sata-ide-converter-235682/#post1972211

Michael,
I just got around to working on my problem. When I go into the device manager I am not getting the Flash Bios tab. I read that it might not show up if the drive is not recognized. I got my other Samsung burner in and connected it but still no tab in device manager. I also tried to flash in real dos using Updflash, but did not have any luck. Don’t know if i’m entering the command line correctly or not, have tried it several ways with no luck. My PCI sata card is a Silicon Image 3512. I am using B4347E.bin from Silicon Image web site. Can you show me what command line to use. Sorry for being such a newbie but i"m just not having any luck. I do have may other burner working so i’m still burning dvds.

Hi,[quote=sparky57;2180513]
When I go into the device manager I am not getting the Flash Bios tab. I read that it might not show up if the drive is not recognized. I got my other Samsung burner in and connected it but still no tab in device manager.[/quote]Have you installed the very latest drivers from Silicon Image for your card? The driver from your card manufacturer might be older and does not support the flash function.
Also, there are some cards that can not be flashed with the tools from SiI (or cannot be flashed at all).

See also: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/silicon-image-based-sata-ide-controllers-flashable-not-252721/

My PCI sata card is a Silicon Image 3512. I am using B4347E.bin from Silicon Image web site.
Is there any reason why you don’t want the newer 4.3.84?

Can you show me what command line to use.
Have you already read the document that came with the updflash package?
I was able to flash my card withing Windows without any problem. Had to install latest Raid drivers at first.
A 0680A based card had to be flashed under DOS: Load plain DOS (from Floppy, USB device etc.), then just run updflash without parameters. You will then get a menu which makes it easy to flash the card.

Michael

I have downloaded all drivers and the siflashtool along with the b4384e bios file. I opened the command prompt and ran a siflashtool/v to check the file version and it said no Silicone Image storage controllers found. I have my new samsung sh-s203 burner connected. I don’t think this is a flashable controller.
The Samsung sh-s203b burner I now have has firmware version SBO1 and it will not burn a Sony DVD-R. I did not have any problems with the other burner with SB02 firmware. I am not sure about reflashing this drive because I fried the last one running the auto update from Samsung. What is the best way to flash this drive? I don’t want to buy another one. Do I need to leave it connected to the sata to ide converter or plug it back into the onboard sata with the VIA chipset? Man I’m lost:confused:

Hi,[QUOTE=sparky57;2180746]I have downloaded all drivers and the siflashtool along with the b4384e bios file. I opened the command prompt and ran a siflashtool/v to check the file version and it said no Silicone Image storage controllers found.[/quote]siflashtool didn’t work for me either. :wink: Have you alread installed the latest Raid drivers fro Silicon Image?

I have my new samsung sh-s203 burner connected. I don’t think this is a flashable controller.
Not impossible. I am trying to look into the drivers from PNY, but the file is surprisingly huge and their server is slow :eek:

The Samsung sh-s203b burner I now have has firmware version SBO1 and it will not burn a Sony DVD-R. I did not have any problems with the other burner with SB02 firmware. I am not sure about reflashing this drive because I fried the last one running the auto update from Samsung. What is the best way to flash this drive?
Connecting to a controller that works. Maybe even the “badflashed” drive could be recovered.

I don’t want to buy another one. Do I need to leave it connected to the sata to ide converter or plug it back into the onboard sata with the VIA chipset?
None of these is a good configuration for flashing. You can try both for normal operation
Man I’m lost:confused:
:iagree: This is not funny.

I think I have all the updated software revisions. During all the dos command line I may have loaded version 4383 to the controller. During the boot up of the pc it shows this version and it use to have version 1.0.
Also I burned another dvd and it worked correctly. I will try some more but don’t have much time during the holidays. Maybe after Christmas.
Hope everyone has a great holiday.:iagree::iagree:

Hi,[quote=sparky57;2182320]I think I have all the updated software revisions. During all the dos command line I may have loaded version 4383 to the controller. [/quote]So it shows up as SataLink in device manager now? If so, then all is fine :slight_smile:

Cheers and Merry Christmas,
Michael

Hello,
It did not show up as Satalink in device manager, it was still showing as a Sataraid so I did another flash from real dos. I flashed it with B4384E, seems like all went well. It now show Satalink version B4384E during the bootup. It also shows as a Satalink in the device manager with the driver version 1.3.71.1.
I’m now in the process of coping some dvds to verify the burner working correctly. If this works ok I’m going to connect the other ODD with the bad flash and try it.
Thanks for the help, this is a great site:bow::clap:

For anyone reading this thread. Don’t use the firmware auto update for any drive. This can happen to you. Some bad flashes are not recoverable.

Always manually flash your drives according to the flasher instructions.

Veeeeery good advise, I learned the hard way. Automatic is not always best.

HI,

Update on the Samsung SH-S203 dead ODD. I could not get it to show up on my PC. Never got it to reflash. Contacted Samsung and they are going to replace it sense it was under warranty. Thanks Michael for your help:bigsmile: