Samsung SH-S202J - Loose disc tray

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S202J / TS-H652J. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi, new here.

I recently purchased a new SH-S202J DVD writer. It’s OEM I assume as it was sold to me without a box/manual or anything…

I was given the option of getting a better quality SATA samsung drive for just 5 euro more but I decided to go for tis one… regretfully…

This was quite expensive and I assumed it was a high quality drive (which I really needed as my previous drive was cracking my CD’s/DVD’s).

The disc tray is loose. Once fully extended it can easily be moved back and forth a bit. Just feels very loose. It’s only the right side of the tray that’s moveable though, the left side is not as loose (if at all)…

My previous (lower quality) drive did not do this. It’s tray was not loose at all.

Is this a common thing with this particular samsung drive or is this flaw not acceptable? Thanks.

Hi and Welcome![quote=Drisc;2152894][qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S202J / TS-H652J. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi, new here.

I recently purchased a new SH-S202J DVD writer. It’s OEM I assume as it was sold to me without a box/manual or anything…

I was given the option of getting a better quality SATA samsung drive for just 5 euro more but I decided to go for tis one… regretfully…[/quote]The mechanical quality of these drives are basically the same. Sata vs. Pata does not matter.

The disc tray is loose. Once fully extended it can easily be moved back and forth a bit.
The tray of my 203B and my 182D are slightly loose also. Might be “by design”.

Is this a common thing with this particular samsung drive or is this flaw not acceptable?
all my drives’ trays are slightly loose. Since I have no imagination how loose is yours, I’d suggest to contact the vendor for a replacement.

Michael

Thank you for the quick response.

To give you an idea of how loose the tray is, I measured the distance it moves back and forth (on the right side). It moves about 5/6mm. Is that a bit much do you think?

I did actually go back to the shop where I bought it to inquire about it and the guy told me it was normal. Didn’t actually bring the drive in to him to test it out though.

Hi,[quote=Drisc;2152918]
To give you an idea of how loose the tray is, I measured the distance it moves back and forth (on the right side). It moves about 5/6mm. Is that a bit much do you think?[/quote]I’ll check. But not now, it’s too late for me.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2152927]Hi,I’ll check. But not now, it’s too late for me.

Michael[/QUOTE]
That’s no problem. I didn’t mean for you to go out of your way.

Here’s the result: I can move my tray about 3mm on the right side (SH-S203B).