Samsung SH-S202G

Hello CDFers,

I was wondering if anyone has tried the SH-S202G yet, and how it compares to the SH-S203B.

From the specs they seem pretty much identical in terms of write/read speeds and supported media types.

SH-S203B is SATA and does NOT have Lightscribe

SH-S202G is PATA and has Lightscribe

Are there any other differences between these drives? It would be nice to see some scans too…

I just bought the SH 202G and it does not have Lightscribe.

Thanks for the “heads up” on that.

Apparently they messed up on the specs for it on the Samsung ODD site, because I know before on the specs page I linked it said:

Lightscribe Applied

Now that has changed. It doesn’t matter much to me that it doesn’t have lightscribe though, I think its too slow anyway…

Any other “gotchas” I should know about, inconsistencies with the specs and such?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Just looking into Samsung Website today and notice that exist other two models: SH-S202J and SH-S202H in firmware download page.
Anyone knows about that drives ?

Edit. Just found some data from SH-S202H here: http://www.cdr.cz/dvd_rekordery/samsung/sh_s202h.html and SH-S202J here: http://www.cdr.cz/dvd_rekordery/samsung/sh_s202j.html

The main difference is the DVD+R DL max speed: H=16x , J=12x

I am looking for the .bin firmware for the 202G, so I can use MCSE, can’t seem to find it.:sad:

You will find SB00 for SH-S202G at www.samsungodd.com/eng -> firmware -> firmware dowloads.

But MCSE doesn’t understand that firmware too well.

All I can find is the firmware in the flasher, I need the .bin file.

Just unpack the file using winrar and you will find two files: the firmware itself and the flasher program.

What site did you find this .rar file, when I downloaded the file it came as a .exe with the firmware inside the flasher.

Why does it have to be a .rar file if you mention use Winrar? Winrar will bust most anything.

The file is SH-S202G_SB00.exe . It’s not more than a executable compressed file that call the flasher upon you double click it.

If you load the .exe file into winrar it will unpack and show your contents.

How do I extract the .bin file from the flasher? I use Winrar all the time, but this is not a .rar file it is a .exe file. I need the .rar file with the .bin file inside.

I thought they were one in the same? Your downloading the wrong file?

If you have the winrar installed do:

Right click over the SH-S202G_SB00.exe file and select “extract to SH-S202G_SB00”

It will create a new folder named “SH-S202G_SB00” that contains two files:

• 200706281645323802_SH-S202G_SB00.bin
  • sfdnwin.exe

I did it, thankyou very much zhadoom, you have been a big help.:clap:

I just ended up with this drive by mistake. I was buying an I/O Magic IDVD18DL and the SH-S202G is inside the box due to a mistake at Target. Anyway, my computer is reading this as a DVD-RAM drive. I have never used DVD-RAM before because I have heard awful things about it. Can someone educate me a little on this? I cannot return it because the error has been found and now they think its me trying to pull a fast one on them…so I’m stuck with it. Can DVD-RAM discs be made compatible for any DVD Player? Please help!

Welcome to forum aborders79. :clap:

It will burn any other type of disc also. Don’t worry.

[quote=ValHall64;1951785]Welcome to forum aborders79. :clap:

It will burn any other type of disc also. Don’t worry.[/quote]

I tried putting a Memorex DVD+R in it and it won’t read it as a blank disc. The drive goes from DVD-RAM to CD Drive and I can’t do anything DVD related to the blank. Can you help me find out what’s going on? Do I need to flash the firmware?

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=aborders79;1951798]I tried putting a Memorex DVD+R in it and it won’t read it as a blank disc. The drive goes from DVD-RAM to CD Drive and I can’t do anything DVD related to the blank.[/quote]That’s absolutely normal with all DVD writers.

Can you help me find out what’s going on? Do I need to flash the firmware?
Just use CD/DVD burning software. You may check your box if there is a CD with software, and also have a look if there is something like a manual.

Michael

Thanks for all the support and I will try that! I am currently using Roxio Media Creator 9 as my DVD burning client and it is telling me that there is no disc in the drive. As for the media, I have almost exclusively used this media (Memorex DVD+R) for years and have not had this problem occur in any other DVD burner. Unfortunately I no longer have the other burners and that’s why I need to get this one working. Any additional help you can give will be greatly appreciated. I will post my findings here as they occur.

Thanks again for all the help!