Samsung SH-S202G - $25 Shipped - NO Rebates - 20x DVD Burner

Yo-

One of the cheapest DVD burner sales I have ever seen here:

Buy it now - you may never see a lower price shipped for a name brand good burner-eh!! :eek::eek:

[QUOTE=bigmike7;1942593]Yo-

One of the cheapest DVD burner sales I have ever seen here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151151

Buy it now - you may never see a lower price shipped for a name brand good burner-eh!! :eek::eek:[/QUOTE]Hi Mike this 202G (PATA) version has proved to not be as good as the 203B (SATA) version. Maybe f/w updates have helped it? I don’t know as i haven’t kept up with them sorry.

Agree rolling…but I have not kept up either.

I notice a while back though that Newegg user reviews did not match the forums here (at times). If one was just reading Newegg user reviews…one would think the 202 (non-sata) was the better drive by the Custome Choice Award…even though right now it is like 70 vs 50 in favor of the 203.

The 202 got 1x Winner of Customer Choice Award - CD / DVD Burners

I remember Alan here on the forums did not care for his 202 at all lol…got rid of it and bought one or more 203 drives.

Scans here on the 202 weren not near as good as the 203 drives either …at least not when the 202 and 203 first came out.

Nice price though:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Yo-

When I got my first sammy 182m - it took the engineers a couple of firmware updates until they got it right-

Since the DVD manufacturers use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim discs to test and verify the units and that is the only medias that I use - I think for a whopping $25 delivered - I can very well take a chance-eh!! :rolleyes:

Problem is they are slow with the firmware updates. This drive with the SB00 firmware is not very good. I have tried it with the 202J SB01firmware and the first burn after a cold start is usually quite good but after that not so good. I suspect the hardware differences are causing problems. I’ve been hoping they would release a new firmware but no luck so far. Looks like I’ll have to pull it so I can put the new DVR-115 in it’s place tomorrow…

Mike

It is a good price…but if you have an extra SATA connection…for another $5 you can get the 203b with free sipping (Newegg keeps putting them on sale with the free shipping)…

If you only have IDE…then there is only one choice. It you have SATA…I think I would go the 203b route…I have two and are happy with both…and they love TY media (TY02 it loves a lot).

They have scan threads on both. Check out the Hall Of Fame…I am a newbe and even I have a few in the HOF.

Rolling who posted above has bought like 15-20 of the sata sammys:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Worth the extra few bucks for the sata version…just my opinion:bigsmile:

You can have my 202G, free. A completely worthless drive in every respect.

[QUOTE=CDan;1942772]You can have my 202G, free. A completely worthless drive in every respect.[/QUOTE]

Wow! That’s really bad. OK, I’ll PM you my address. :bigsmile:

Does anyone know if the SH-203N (Lightscribe) performs as well as the SH-203B?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,[QUOTE=Nemesys;1942951]Does anyone know if the SH-203N (Lightscribe) performs as well as the SH-203B?[/QUOTE]it should. We have separate “scans” threads for 203B and 230N over in the Samsung DVD burner forum :slight_smile:

Michael

Thanks [B]mciahel[/B], headed there now for an analysys.

Much appreciated.

I have both, even though I never use Lightscribe, and I see no real difference in the two. It all comes down to quality media. I only use YudenT02 and MCC004 and the sppeds and the scans are just about the same.

I’m contemplating the Sammy because lately the scans with MCC004 on my DW-1655 are not that attractive.

Not sure if it is the drive or the media batch.

Also contemplating trying the YUDENT03 from www.rima.com.

Although rarely used, I want to retain the Lightscribe as I still have lightscre media in my collection.

Thanks for the responses.

[QUOTE=Nemesys;1943180]I’m contemplating the Sammy because lately the scans with MCC004 on my DW-1655 are not that attractive.

Not sure if it is the drive or the media batch.

Also contemplating trying the YUDENT03 from www.rima.com.

Although rarely used, I want to retain the Lightscribe as I still have lightscre media in my collection.

Thanks for the responses.[/QUOTE]

Yo Nemesys-

The 1655 does have its virtues - reliable scanner for CD-R discs and very good reader/ripper-

The 202G should do well on MCC 004 and T02 medias - would take the T02 before the T03 for the better burns IMO-

Its not happening BigMike. The 202G is not one half the burner the 203B is. I dont care what the price is. Yes it will burn well at 8X and 12X but so will dozens of other burners, the main selling point of this burner is the 20X write speed and it does not compare to the 203B SATA model.

I don’t like Sammys , even the latest most highly praised 203B , my other burners still beat its quality at 8X/12X speeds and my 20A1P beats it (badly!) at 18X/20X burning speeds. If “as Alan says” 202G is not even half of 203B quality , I would not get it even for free

The only thing it does extremely well is CD-R burning quality , not of my other burners can touch Sammy’s CD-R burning

Still , 25$ is very cheap for “new” 20X DVD burner technology and I would guess this drive “may” have some future potential and thanks bigmike for posting this

Mike was just posting a deal and is not saying this burner is the cat ass.

Sorry this turned into a bash Mike thread :flower:

[QUOTE=rolling56;1943300]Mike was just posting a deal and is not saying this burner is the cat ass.

Sorry this turned into a bash Mike thread :flower:[/QUOTE]

Yo Bob-

Thanks for watching my back!!!

I bought mine #1 for the low price and free shipping and #2 to use as a reader/ripper with C0dekings fast reader/ripper softwares and let my trusty ole LiteOn 160P6S’s do the burning duties (at 8x where they do the best on most 8x and 16x medias)-eh!! :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

(and Alan - the main selling feature of this drive - to me - is [B][I][U]not[/U][/I][/B] 20x writing speed - it is the fast reading/ripping speed and accuracy along with the low price)

Yo-

[B]Now its all kinda academic - this burner is now $28 shipped-eh!![/B]

You guy rely too much on scanning. Quality scanning= marketing tool
if it is readable and playable then its good enough for me.
if I have to scan everydisc being burned i would waste a lot of my precious time… also i find it unnecessary. yes I am a geek
and I scanned lot lot of disc
most are disappointing scoring 50-70 but who cares