Samsung SH-S182D DVD-Writer Review

I just posted the article Samsung SH-S182D DVD-Writer Review.

Samsung was kind enough to send us the SH-S182D for review. In this review we will be seeing how this drive from one the world’s largest electronics manufacturers performs in our tests.

The Samsung SH-S182D supports 18x DVD±R, 8x/6x DVD+RW/-RW, and 8x DVD+R DL/-R DL writing technology, allowing Double/Dual Layer discs of 8.5Gb to be written. In addition this drive also supports DVD-RAM at 12x.

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/152-Samsung-SH-S182D-DVD-Writer-Review/](http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/152-Samsung-SH-S182D-DVD-Writer-Review/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Hello! I have this Samsung product and I’m dealing with a serious problem: One of the features listed is: “The Samsung SH-S182D supports bit-setting, and is capable of writing DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R DL media with DVD-ROM book type.” Well, the one I have in my computer CAN’T do this!!! I open Nero Burning ROM, go to “Choose recorder”, as it is shown in this review, and for my surprise the option “Book type settings” at the bottom of the dialog box DOESN’T EXIST! Only the optons “Super link enabled” and “DVD high compatibility mode” are there! How is this possible? If someone here have any ideas about my problem, I’d be very glad! Just e-mail me: danielcl_colorado@yahoo.com.br. Thanks! :c

Does it copy the protection (if there is any ) as well?

:frowning: have same writer does anydody know why DL discS are showing as CDs…tried 3 different makes of discs no joy

I have the SH-S182F model which I think is basically the same. It is a great drive so far. It can read discs well and does excellent burns. Seems like they teamed up with Toshiba because the retail box says “Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corporation”, abbreviated “TSST”. Made in Korea. (Thank God it’s not made in China) I am just curious why it causes the hard drive LED to light up continuously when watching a DVD movie. My previous Lite-On didn’t cause the hard drive LED to light up at all. The movie plays fine though. Anyone know why this is? Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

I have a serious problem with the samsung sh-s182d it cannot read its own burn cds and dvds and it shows many of cds or dvds as a blank disc. Somebody please help me and if possible please send the solution to my mail i.e azmath_85@hotmail.com.

Thanks,this is a very good review on this burner!

I have the SH-S182F model which I think it’s the same as this one, does anyone knows if it’s possible to bitset to DVD-ROM? If you know how please write me to jcma90@gmail.com :slight_smile:

I have the SH-S182D model too and it takes about 4 hours 15 mins to encode and burn a normal length movie … my old burner never took this long … whats up with that ? :c

Mine is gawdawful SLOW… It didn’t use to be so bad. I am not sure what happened. I’ve got the latest FW, reinstalled all the samsung magic speed and all, it’s set to dma mode, I don’t know what else to do. It’s not too picky about discs and the burns usually come out good but now it’s taking like half hour 45 mins to rip a DVD9 and about half an hour to burn one, AFTER encoding. It’s f’n ridiculous. Burns CD fine, full disc like 2.5 mins… DVDs fuggetaboudit… Any ideas???

Mine is starting to act the same way. Burning DVD at at various speed sometime at .84X! :frowning: - Unbelievable! I did upgrade firmware ver SB05 but no help. Advises are appreciated. An

I have the same problem. I bought 3 of this type SH-S182D, from one provider. It reads nice, but always burns DVDs very slow. Its stable after upgraded firmware to SB04. But it always takes 1 hour and 8m to burn a dvd. Have tried both +/- different machines, Linux/XP, DMA, 80 conductor cables, etc. So now I dont know what to do. Maybe drop Samsung and buy other brand? Or maybe its my PCs?

I fixed the problem with slow DVD burn described in the post above! “Posted by ragnar (guest) on Saturday 22 March 2008 23:17 I have the same problem. I bought 3 of this type SH-S182D, from one provider. It reads nice, but always burns DVDs very slow. Its stable after upgraded firmware to SB04. But it always takes 1 hour and 8m to burn a dvd. Have tried both +/- different machines, Linux/XP, DMA, 80 conductor cables, etc. So now I dont know what to do. Maybe drop Samsung and buy other brand? Or maybe its my PCs?” I didn`t know about the firmware upgrade SB06, I thought the SB04 was the newest. I upgraded firmware from S04 to S06. And that fixed the problem!!! I now burn a DVD 4574510KB (4468GB) in 8min 47sec!!! Finally! Here is the link to the firmware upgrade file SB06: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=us&CttFileID=1528503&CDCttType=FM&ModelType=N&ModelName=SH-S182D&VPath=FM/200706/20070622093010250_SH-S182D_SB06.zip Or click here for page: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDownDetail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=opticaldiscdrives&subtype=dvdwriter&model_nm=SH-S182D&language=&cate_type=all&mType=FM&dType=D&vType=R&cttID=1528503&prd_ia_cd=05050500&disp_nm=SH-S182D Good luck with your Samsung product! :g

I have the exct same drive in black just upgraded the firmwae from SB04 to SB06 theve changed the method of upgrading firmware, unfortunately the batch of softwares they used to have for this drive have been removed from their site. they were pretty usefull, like disk speed adjuster and stuff Iv just recently encounted defection on my drive, probably due to neglecting the button and slamming the tray shut all the time. so now it pops the disk out randomly. abotu ppl getting the they insert as CD, if u are using nero adn is your 1st time, sellect the drive as TSST corp SH-S182D when selecting to burn, on the bottom right corner sellect the size of ur disk, dvd5 or 9 usualy nero 8 detects this automaticaly

Why doesnt the LED light come on my SH-S182D? It works perfectly otherwise?

This is a swell machine but on mine the LED is dead, so I can’t tell if the machine is working. It seems to, though. Any ideas on how to get the LED to light?

:c Mine can read original CD/DVD not burned CD/DVD from it. I’ve even update Firmware to SB07 still no luck :c does anyone have any idea what next step to do ?? :c