Samsung SH-S182 issues

vbimport

Hi there!

I’m having trouble with my titular DVD drive. It has worked fine up until now, and the issue it’s giving me is strange at best. If I insert a “homemade” disk, CD or DVD, the indicator light will flash for a bit and then instantly shut down my PC. A commercial CD or DVD is simply not recognized after a bit of whirring, as though nothing was inserted. I have the latest drivers, the cables are fine. I have never heard of this happening. What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Can you try the drive in another PC?

Another thing which might be worth a go is a fresh IDE cable…you’re right though, weird problem :eek:

Thanks Arachne :slight_smile:

I tried a new IDE cable first, as it was easier. Unfortunately, no dice. Commercial DVDs and CDs now crash it too, so I may be investing in a DVD drive pretty soon. I’ll try the drive in another box now and let you know.

OK, see what it does in another box :slight_smile:

Did you install any software or make any changes prior to this problem starting? Obvious questions I know. :slight_smile:

Here I am with another box and the drive works like the day I bought it. Good news, my drive’s fine. Bad news, something is wrong with my other PC.

I haven’t made any significant changes since originally installing the drive. A week or two ago is when this began, and two days ago I did a format and reinstalled Windows, hoping it would resolve the issue. I’m back at square one though.

I appreciate the help Arachne :slight_smile:

You’re welcome :)…and at least you’ve managed to rule out the drive, that’s something. :slight_smile:

I don’t have a clue off the top of my head, I’ll do a bit of a search around the forums. In the meantime, now we know it’s the PC or something installed on it, hopefully another member or two will chime in too. :wink:

Right on. I’m thinking that my IDE2 might be screwy. Both cables produced the same result, and the drive is fine, there’s not much left. Unfortunately, I don’t know the first thing about maintenance for those things.

Hi,[quote=Leviticus;2075511]Right on. I’m thinking that my IDE2 might be screwy…[/quote]You could try a Silicon Image 0680A based IDE controller card. Raid versions need to be flashed to Base Bios (no Raid) in order to run optical drives properly.
But before you go shopping, examine the capacitors on your motherboard properly, if some are damaged or even leaking.

Michael

My capacitors are looking fine, no breaks or leaks. If it’s what you suggest, I think I’ll go with the PCI-ATA controller. I’ve got PCI slots burning holes in my mobo anyway. Thanks you guys, you’ve been a huge help :smiley:

Glad you don’t have to get rid of the drive :D…it’s such a nice drive I bought a spare one after I’d had mine a little while :o

I know what you mean. The thing works beautifully, I was genuinely sad when the problems developed. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Arachne;2075530]…it’s such a nice drive[/quote]Not with stock firmware :bigsmile:

Transfer this to the Sammy forum…? :wink:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2075534]Not with stock firmware :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ, mine’s been great with all firmwares from SB02 onwards :bigsmile: - I don’t even have the (in)famous -R lead-in problem :smiley:

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2075535]Transfer this to the Sammy forum…? ;)[/QUOTE]

Why not? :slight_smile:

OK it’s done :wink:

[quote=Arachne;2075538]I beg to differ, mine’s been great with all firmwares from SB02 onwards :bigsmile: - I don’t even have the (in)famous -R lead-in problem :D[/quote]That’s unfair :eek:
Ok, I fixed my drive by flashing to TS-H652D KC03, but I do not understand why Samsung didn’t apply this fix to their retail firmware also :a

[QUOTE=Leviticus;2075502]Here I am with another box and the drive works like the day I bought it. Good news, my drive’s fine. Bad news, something is wrong with my other PC.

I haven’t made any significant changes since originally installing the drive. A week or two ago is when this began, and two days ago I did a format and reinstalled Windows, hoping it would resolve the issue. I’m back at square one though.

I appreciate the help Arachne :)[/QUOTE]

Check out the Power Suppy.

I’ve tried several different power outs with the thing, always with the same result. Thanks, though!