Samsung SH-223Q Won't read all DVDs (Office 2007, Left 4 Dead)

vbimport

I’m hoping somebody can help with a problem that has been plaging me for some time.

I bought a build it yourself computer package (motherboard bundle, graphics card, HDD, DVD etc) from Novatech a couple of years back and I’ve never been able to get the DVD player / writer to work correctly.

When I bought the system, I bought a IDE Sony drive; it would read DVDs but would be never write. With the price of players so low, I replaced it with Samsung SH223-Q (thinking I couldn’t screw up installing SATA player). Similar story - I could play DVDs but never write them. However, as I don’t write DVDs I simply put up with the problem; that is until now.

I recently seen a couple of smart games (and an office 2007 upgrade) going pretty cheap so I decided to buy. My problem is that my DVD will not read these new discs and I just cannot figure out why.

To cut a long story, here is what I’ve done to try and get the damn thing to work

• Upgraded the firmware on the DVD drive
  • Upgraded my MOBO BIOS
  • Installed all my Windows XP updates (now running XP SP3)
  • Updated my graphics drivers
  • Updated my chipset controller (although I’m not sure whether this worked properly)
  • Messed around in the BIOS SATA Controllers (my SATA drive is running as IDE??)
  • wasted to much time messing with things i know very little about

I think I have a software problem (a SATA setting or dodgy driver) but I just cannot figure out what it is! I hope somebody can help or point me in the correct direction!

So, my Problem

• DVD drive will read some DVDs but not all
    – Reads - Battlefield 2142 (DVD-ROM)
    – Reads - Video DVDs

– Has problem with
— Office 2007 - Does not even recognise a disc is installed in the PC
— Left 4 Dead - Very very slowly reads the disc (very strange but the floppy drive also starts to whirr away). Will not run the game .exe file from the disc (one time it gave a win 32 app error)

My System Config (appologies if this is too much or not enough)

Thanks,

Mark

System Information

Time of this report: 10/24/2009, 12:55:58
Machine name:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: 965P-S3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 418MB used, 2040MB available
Windows Dir: H:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives

Drive: C:

Free Space: 16.8 GB
Total Space: 55.0 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: Maxtor 6 Y080L0 SCSI Disk Device

Drive: D:

Free Space: 57.5 GB
Total Space: 80.0 GB
Model: WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0

Drive: E:

Free Space: 14.0 GB
Total Space: 20.0 GB
Model: Maxtor 6 Y080L0 SCSI Disk Device

Drive: G:

Free Space: 0.3 GB
Total Space: 100.0 GB

Drive: H:

Free Space: 27.9 GB
Total Space: 58.5 GB

Drive: F:
  Model: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q
 Driver: h:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 5.01.2600.5512 (English), 4/13/2008 19:40:46, 62976 bytes

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

To exclude a damaged drive, can you try to install it on a different machine? Maybe you can ask a friend to do a quick test :slight_smile:

If the drive is not able to read two specific discs but is able to read all other discs you tried, it is possible that these two discs are defective. Did you try them on a different drive? Can you read these on another computer (again you can ask a friend to do a quick test)?

Is the Samsung drive brand new or did you get it used? If you got an used drive, maybe there is some dust on the optical pickup, and you can try to clean it (opening the drive or using a proper cleaning kit).

I’ll try the discs on another machine but they are both brand new (game from amazon and office from MS).

The samsung drive is brand new (from novatech) and has very little use.

Hi,[QUOTE=rokkan;2456289]
When I bought the system, I bought a IDE Sony drive; it would read DVDs but would be never write. With the price of players so low, I replaced it with Samsung SH223-Q (thinking I couldn’t screw up installing SATA player). Similar story - I could play DVDs but never write them. However, as I don’t write DVDs I simply put up with the problem; that is until now.[/quote]What software have you tried to write to DVD?

(…)

• Messed around in the BIOS SATA Controllers (my SATA drive is running as IDE??)
    IDE is the most compatible setting. Should be okay this way.

Additionally, I am interested to know if there are the same read problems with the Sony drive you retired.

Michael