Samsung SH-203B same as SH-S203N / TS-H653N?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi all,

Having read this review of the Samsung SH-S203B I decided to get one. I’ve been told (by a sales person) that there’s absolutely no difference between the Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N and the SH-S203B (that CD Freaks reviewed) except it’s got LightScribe - which I’m not too bothered about - but I don’t remember anything about Toshiba being involved so I’m a little skeptical.

If I get the SH-S203N / TS-H653N will I be getting pretty much the drive that was highly recommended in that review or are there important differences that I should be aware of?

Many thanks (in advance) for your help.

P.

ps. Great site by the way, very useful!

It’s pretty much the LightScribe equivalent to the 203B, with the same write quality. :iagree:

BTW, TSST is Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology. This is the alliance that actually designs the drives that Samsung sells. There are just usually OEM equivalents [TS-H653N] to the retail drives [SH-S203N].

Excellent. Thanks for the quick and informative response.
"OEM equivalents [TS-H653N] to the retail drives [SH-S203N]"
That was confusing me.

Thanks again.

P.

Hi,

please note that some OEM versions (TS-H653N) might be lacking features of the Retail (SH-S203N) version, especially if they were built for large computer manufacturers like Dell or HP.

Michael

Ah, interesting.
Any idea what kind of features?
Basically, what I want is a good DVD reader/writer. So I may be able to live without some features, but it would be handy to know what features they tend to leave out in the (Dell / HP) example.

Thanks again.

P.

What would you recommend, I can get a Samsung SH-S203B for a little more (due to different supplier’s shipping rates).

Just get the 203B/N and it will be a great all in one drive.

203N = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151154

or

203B = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153

Hi,[quote=parpfish;2098531]Ah, interesting.
Any idea what kind of features? [/quote]Dell loved to use drives with DVD-RAM capability disabled. Recently they started to distribute firmware updates that re-enable that feature. There might be other minor differences also.
The good thing is, you can force retail firmware onto OEM drives (or vice versa):bigsmile: But you’ll void your warranty then.

Michael