Cpu -AMD Opteron 175 - Dual Core
Memory -TWINMOS Value 2x1024Mb DDR400
Hard Disk -2xHITACHI Deskstar 7K250 IDE 80Gb in Raid0
Sk Video -GALAXY GeForce 7800 GT 256Mb
Sk Audio -nVidia nForce4 Audio
Dvd Rom -LG DRD8160B
Dvd R/Rw -NEC ND-3540A
O.S. -Windows XP Professional SP1

My NEC 3540A dead a week ago (when attached the pc shut down 1 minute after boot.)
I had the possibility to try a Samsung SH-203B (firmware SB01) for some days (waiting to buy a new burner).
I attached it to SATA 0 port (the two hd in raid are IDE and the dvd -rom also).
If performed 3 burns with (whit different media Verbatim DVD-R 8x, DVD-R 16x and a Sony DVD-R 16x) but the quality was very poor.
The first two burns by NERO 7.10 and the last with Alcohl v1.9.6.4719.
I attach the scan (performed with the samsung itself (not the best scanner i know)) of two verbatim media.
The 3 dvd were unredeable on my table dvd player (with NEC i had no problems) only the Samsung itself red them and only the Verbatim 16x without stucking during DVD play.

I gave back the Samsung (was only leaned) know i wonders about reason of poor burns.
-was the SATA cntrl of nForce 4 Ultra not compatible with Samsung?
-was the burner defective (i had no possibility to try on other pc)?
-were software problems?.

What you suggest to replace dead NEC3540A?

Thanks in advance for your answers :bow::bow:

Welcome to the forum.

The NF4 Ultra is compatible with the Samsung, since I have two 203Bs attached to mine. It’s hard to determine from only 3 burns of 3 different media if the burner is bad. CMC 16x media doesn’t fare too well in general. MCC 16x quality has gone down as of late, depending on which plant it was manufactured from. It’s too bad you had to return the drive, otherwise, you would’ve seen its full potential.

[quote=KTL;1917903]Welcome to the forum.

The NF4 Ultra is compatible with the Samsung, since I have two 203Bs attached to mine. It’s hard to determine from only 3 burns of 3 different media if the burner is bad. CMC 16x media doesn’t fare too well in general. MCC 16x quality has gone down as of late, depending on which plant it was manufactured from. It’s too bad you had to return the drive, otherwise, you would’ve seen its full potential.[/quote]

I understand that only 3 burns are too low to determine if the burner has problems, but with my old NEC i havn’t any failed disk, and i used the same media.
Your word about nForce4 compatibility confort me.
I have found a Sammy SH-203N (the 203B with lightscribe) and i was thinking to change also the DVD-rom with another SATA drive (i found an ASUS DRW1814BLT for a very good price).
Freeing so the secondary PATA channel.

What do you think about this upgrade.:wink:

What about moving the second raid0 hd as secondary master (having one per channel)?
This movement require format?

BYE:)

The 203N is a good choice as well. The Asus doesn’t get too much attention, but make sure you read the review and user experience in the Asus/Pioneer forum. I had thought about getting the Asus due to its (then) good pricing, but there’s a LG 20x SATA drive that surfaced which looks like a winner, so I’m holding out for that one. :wink:

I’d imagine if you change both of your hard drives to masters on separate channels, you will need to reformat.

[quote=KTL;1918196]The 203N is a good choice as well. The Asus doesn’t get too much attention, but make sure you read the review and user experience in the Asus/Pioneer forum. I had thought about getting the Asus due to its (then) good pricing, but there’s a LG 20x SATA drive that surfaced which looks like a winner, so I’m holding out for that one. :wink:

I’d imagine if you change both of your hard drives to masters on separate channels, you will need to reformat.[/quote]

[quote=KTL;1917903]Welcome to the forum.

The NF4 Ultra is compatible with the Samsung, since I have two 203Bs attached to mine. It’s hard to determine from only 3 burns of 3 different media if the burner is bad. CMC 16x media doesn’t fare too well in general. MCC 16x quality has gone down as of late, depending on which plant it was manufactured from. It’s too bad you had to return the drive, otherwise, you would’ve seen its full potential.[/quote]

Ok
finally i installed the new burners (Samsung SH-203N and ASUS DRW-1814BLT) the LG wasn’t available and so i decided to go for Asus just as back-up burning solution to the Samsung “first choice” DVDRW.
With both i can boot and both write cd-r and cd-rw with good results.
But unfortunately also with this Samsung i cannot obtain good video-DVD (with DVD-R 8x CMCMAG.AE1).
Probably for media no-compatible with burner.
With the Asus instead i obtain the same two failed video DVD burns on Samsung with same media with good quality (95 e 93 CD-DVD Speed Quality score) and perfectly playable on two standalone dvd player.

Anyone is experiencing problems on Samsungs with CMC media??
I’ll try as soon as possible a different media support to understand if problem is on media or on some no-compatibity issue with my pc configuration.

Are available new official firmware or modded one to try to solve the problem?

CMC media just don’t burn well, with the exception of the 8x DVD+R (CMCMAGE01). There’s nothing any modded firmware can solve.