Samsung SH 203B - Doesnt Recognize Blank Media

[QUOTE=rolling56;1939607]It’s hard to help when we are not there. We do our best.

Just to see if the drives work, if you can put them in another pc.[/QUOTE]

Hi see the above posts

1. i tried a usb DVD-RW and it treats my drive the same.
    2.I have 2 drives in my machine and they both having same problem they are identical and bought 3 weeks ago
    3 I used this program Windows XP CD Recorder Properties and it doesn’t see any recordable drives but see 2 of them on a different system I tried.
    http://www.bustrace.com/products/imapi.htm
  2. These 2 new samsung drives are esata and only 1 system I have a can use them.
  3. The drives worked for a week or 2 normally (got blank autoplay window when inserted blank media)
  4. I been building systems for 12 yrs professionally so I know how to troubleshoot systems.
  5. I understand its hard to troubleshoot this way why I try to put as many details as I can. :iagree:

yeah i have been following this thread to see if i can help. Usually it’s upper/lower filers or emulation software that causes this.

I now understand how the filters work somewhat to remove them and redo them. I used Daemon Tools and Alcohol for years and aware of issue they cause. Does the device part of of the filter tell Windows what type of Drive I have such as recordable non-recordable?

[QUOTE=pinto2;1939080]Its busTrace and nothing else. ;)[/QUOTE]Or ImgBurn (Tools --> Filter Driver Load Order) :wink:

@mikemn: Please uninstall one of your drives physically for troubleshooting.

[QUOTE=mikemn;1939623]…
4. These 2 new samsung drives are [B]esata[/B] and only 1 system I have a can use them…

6. I been building systems for 12 yrs professionally so I know how to troubleshoot systems…[/QUOTE]eSATA? Are they installed in enclosures. :confused:

[I]BTW mciahel,[/I] while troubleshooting busTRACE is the app to use on any system. I works even when no (additional) burning software is installed.

My system has a removable drive tray and I just booted up my Windows Vista system which works fine with samsung drive. All type of blank media are recognized and have the autoplay popup windows work and the drive is seen as a recordable.

[QUOTE=pinto2;1939688]eSATA? Are they installed in enclosures. :confused:

[I]BTW mciahel,[/I] while troubleshooting busTRACE is the app to use on any system. I works even when no (additional) burning software is installed.[/QUOTE]

sorry mistype meant sata :slight_smile:

Heres my theory the registry is corrupted and its keeping and drive from being seen as recordable. I got a new case coming for this next couple of days when i do I will install my Liteon and BenQ drives to test my theory.

Heres 2 pics showing my Windows Vista and Windows XP using the
Windows XP CD Recorder program on the same system just swapping OS. To me it back up the fact that my XP system cant see a CD-DVD recordable. It also saw my BenQ and Liteon Drives on different system.

[QUOTE=mikemn;1939701]Heres [B]my theory the registry is corrupted[/B] and its keeping and drive from being seen as recordable. I got a new case coming for this next couple of days when i do I will install my Liteon and BenQ drives to test my theory.[/QUOTE]Most probably you have been playing around a little to much techie there, removing essential windoze drivers.
Run XP OS disc in repair (installation) mode.

Already done reread my first post :wink:

Well I did a new build of Windows XP last night a a different drive and it see both my SH203B drives as they should be with recording tab and autoplay works with all blank media. Now I know most will say you need to reinstall my system which I am starting on a different drive but I still gonna try to find a fix for this system so if you have any suggestions let me know and will keep you updated if I find a fix.

I’ve had some crazy stuff happen before and i make an OS image of my C: drive when it is working fine. Then when something like this happens i load the image. I’m using the free Seagate Discwizard which is similar to Acronis and is made by Acronis.

Takes about 5 minutes and i’m up and running again.

I use acronis too problem is my backup is borked too :frowning:

yeah that’s to bad.

Run XP OS disc in repair (installation) mode.

[QUOTE=mikemn;1939802]Already done reread my first post ;)[/QUOTE]Yeah, I read that…:smiley:
Did you run the “repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console” or “To setup Windows XP now…”?
I’m asking this because Recovery Console won’t do anything good on your messed up system. :wink:

Your problem is basically IMAPI engine related, caused by other burning engines damaging windows defaults.
Is your IMAPI service up and running as process (administrative tools -> services).

And reason why your drives can recognize discs in Vista is simple; IMAPI (v.2) is always up and running because it’s “protected” process and installing other burning apps won’t damage/disable it. :slight_smile:

For advanced users that like to learn more about IMAPI, linky.

[I]BTW,[/I] this topic has nothing to do with a specific burner and should better be moved to general software forum section.

didnt use console did a full reinstall of OS in repair mode and I agree about moving this thread I originally thought this to be a samsung dive issue. Also in above post I stated I redid system with a swapped hard drive and it works fine no issues. Looking now at adding the IMAPI manually thru registry.

[QUOTE=mikemn;1940403]didnt use console did a full reinstall of OS in repair mode and I agree about moving this thread I originally thought this to be a samsung dive issue. [/QUOTE]Ok.
[I]Thread moved to General Software[/I]

One thing I am pretty sure about is my problem is being caused by my system inability to see any recordable drives no matter who made it. it flags all drives as read only and thats why I get the behavior I do. Now when I use my burning software there are no problems burning, formating or seeing any media. It works fine at that level. I tried some registry imports I got from same system different hard drive with fresh Windows XP install and from the Enum IDE area and Explorer/CDBurning info it made the recording tab show but wasnt realy a fix. It still wouldnt burn anything and no autoplay for blank media. When I uninstalled drives and scanned them back in The drives showed back as read only devices. Anyone know what part of registry or system IDs the drives as read only devices?

Well I imaged the system using Acronis and did a new install with no problems but if anyone comes up with something to try I cant put it on a spare hard drive and try it.