Samsung SH-183A fails writing Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4

Hi,

after having had some bad experience with double layer media with my Sammy 183A, I have just purchased some !quality" Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x at Amazon germany, and tried to write some data to it. But unfortunately, after about 500MB of writing, I get some unreadable data (POF), so the whole media is unusable.

I am really getting sick of this drive, don’t wanna waste any more DL media, but just wanted to know your experience with this media with this drive. Media code is MKM 001 000, written at 2.4x. I will post a scan later.

Can you please post your results with that media? And: do you have a suggestion for a good +DL capable writer?

cu,

Jackie

Verbatim MII or MIS?

How is the drive connected, to which controller?

Hi Chef,

the drive is connected to my Asus P5B Deluxe (Intel ICH 8) onboard S-ATA controller, unfortunately I have already thrown away the label that was wrapped aeound that 25pcs box (bought at amazon . de), so I am not sure if they are MII or MIS (any other way to determine that? The cakebox has a black foot, the media is printable. On the inner transparent ring there is a code: PV7XB6MJ265325X3

cu,

Jackie

Is there a choice setting for the sata controller in the BIOS?

[QUOTE=chef;1958023]Is there a choice setting for the sata controller in the BIOS?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have set it to “IDE” for compatibility reasons, but there are OHCI and RAID modes available - is it necessary to set one of those?

I would try them, cannot get worse.

[QUOTE=chef;1958664]I would try them, cannot get worse.[/QUOTE]

You are right, it didn’t get any worse, but it didn’t improve either. None of the other available modes improved writing quality with my genuine Verbatim DVD+R DL media, but I have some nice coasters here now :frowning: I just wanted to know if this is normal for the Samsung SH-183A.

cu,

Jackie

The best thing to try now would be to search for an BIOS update (mobo) and/or BIOS update for the specific controller. :wink: