Samsung SE-S184M Failure question

Greetings all!

This is my first time here in this forum so please be gentle! :bigsmile:

I have an SE-S184M external drive which worked BEAUTIFULLY until last night.

I started up the system and everything looked normal. That is until i put this movie in the drive called “the Fountain”… While Rachel Weise is quite a beauty, the movie was horrid, and i am not sure if the drive just got revolted and revolted, or what happened exactly. All that happens now is when you power the drive up, the (activity) light lights green, but never blinks or goes off! And when you tought the eject button, nothing happens, you can release the drawer with the emergency but no other way. No evidence of anything amiss, except it just decided to STOP in mid stream. Sound like some may b e loose when you pick it up and turn it over to get the serial. Does anyone know if thre is a way to reset the drive if the logic is hosed? Or lacking that, perhaps someone could tell me you to remove the case so i can replace the dead drive with a new one.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Hi and Welcome!

at first please try the drive connected to another computer to sort out any issue related to your system.
If that fails also, then have your drive serviced under warranty (make sure, it is not expired).

If I remember correctly, then there is also no option to install another drive since the unit has a custom faceplate at least.

Michael

michael,

thanks for the reply.

first thing i did was check it against another machine, same symptoms. whenever you power it up, the activity light comes on solid green (no blinking) and that is all it does. the pc it is attached to recognises the drive by type and function on the usb, but there is no activity on the drive itself.

i had read where some folks had seen common problem with some sory of a drive belt failure on the drive, i wonder if that might be an issue. The drive i planned on replacing it with was another samsung (internal) so that i could possibly use the faceplate and if not, i can fabricate something that will work. I did notice something soundling loose inside the device when i shake it gently. That had not occured prior to the failure.

any ideas?

pat

Hi,[QUOTE=gotitdownpat;1962644]
first thing i did was check it against another machine, same symptoms. [/quote]Ok. Then the drive is broken. :frowning: Any warranty claim applicable?

The drive i planned on replacing it with was another samsung (internal) so that i could possibly use the faceplate and if not, i can fabricate something that will work.
This is an option in case there is no warranty.
Please have a look here (posted exactly 1 year ago ;)): http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/cd-freaks-presents-samsung-se-s184m-review-202512/#post1643494
Seems, it’s not easy to replace the drive with another model.

I did notice something soundling loose inside the device when i shake it gently. That had not occured prior to the failure.
Maybe a screw or something like that. If you manage to open the unit, perhaps it is easy to fix.

any ideas?
Unfortunately no. You have to open the unit in order to see what can be done.

Michael

That was pretty much what i had thought, so back to my original question…

Do you know HOW to get the case open? Are there hidden screws somewhere, or is it one of thos tabbed snap-fit types. I hesitate to go prying around the edges if someone might already know…

Thanks.

Pat

…or at least what i THOUGHT i had originally asked (oops)

Hi,[QUOTE=gotitdownpat;1963056]
Do you know HOW to get the case open? Are there hidden screws somewhere, or is it one of thos tabbed snap-fit types.[/QUOTE]I suspect, that latter, but I might be totally wrong.
See, if you can remove the rubber feet, maybe there are some screws.

Michael

I’ve a six months old S184M, healthy indeed.
Don’t think a movie disc ever killed a drive though. The lose thing is most probably the “spin slide plate” that centers the drive shaft at top of drive casing.

There are to no to me known means to open this casing, and absolute no screws beneath the rubber feets.

[I]gotitdownpat,[/I] try to reflash drive with same firmware you are using atm.

Did anybody find how to open up case. I screwed up and put two dvds in together and when it started it stopped spinning so I figure the drive belt broke. Does anybody know where I can find a breakdown on the web of this unit. Also let me know about getting it open please.
Thanks
Jack

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=uncolaman;1968037]Did anybody find how to open up case. [/QUOTE]have you read the posts of this thread? This statement is the most important one:

[QUOTE=pinto2;1963640]
There are to no to me known means to open this casing, and absolute no screws beneath the rubber feets.[/quote]

Michael