Samsung SE-S184M External DVD Burner Problems

Hello everyone,

Today I bought myself an external dvd burner and I already have some problems with it, I hope you guys can help.

The following is going on:

I have installed the device, and everything, no trouble, system reconized the driver.
I can use the included nero, or use my own burning sofware (activex isoburner ) to burn iso’s to cd-r’s without problems, ive tried with a 215mb iso file and an 536 mb iso file.

However, when I insert a blank dvd-r, the drive switches to cd-rom station, and it sais that a blank cd-r is inserted, windows also thinks a blank cd-r is inserted,while an dvd-r is inserted!
This results in not being able to burn a file larger then 700 mb past 10% or so, it stops the burning in both nero and activex iso burner, ive tried a 2.4 gb iso file, 3.7 gb iso file and 4.2 gb iso file, nothing.

When I take the dvd-r out again (open the drive) the name switches back to DVD-RAM Station.

The auto firmware updater said the latest firmware version was installed, but trough the samsung technical support site I found a newer firmware version anyway for the Model: SE-S184M.
I installed that, and now the model name changed to SH-S182M SB05, but dvd-rs are still not being reconized, and so dvd-r burning still doesnt work.

The media I use is:

Used cd-r burning media: Verbatim Extra Protection 52x 700mb
Used dvd-r burning media: Verbatim Advanced AZO+ 16x Certified 4.7GB/120Min

I hope you can help me,
Kind Regards
-Yoeri

Small update.

Ive now tried to make the dvdrw read dvd’s from Princo,Imanation and Verbatim.(All written dvds, no empties).
The icon does change to a dvd-r, or to whatever icon the setup chooses for that file, but the system still thinks it is a cd-r thats inserted, and installation will crash just like burning before 10% of completion.
If I try those very same dvd-r’s in my pc dvd player, installation and system reconizion will run smoothly…

So I think, having 11 months and 30 days of insurrance on it left,Ill just return it since nobody’s seems to know a solution… (I asked on 3 forums+samsung technical support)

That’s normal for Windows, it has been asked many times.
Did you burn a DVD with Nero?
Post a picture of Nero CD-DVD speed with an empty DVD inserted and you will see it is ok.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I tried burning with nero and activexiso burner, and both fail.
Nero sais something about not being able to find the drive, and activex iso burner sais something about trying to change writing speed (whilest It was already running fairly low )

Hi and Welcome!

with an USB drive, it is really easy to find out if there is a problem with your drive or with your System (Windows/Software installation). Could you please connect the drive to another computer and see if it works there?

Michael

Could you post a screenshot of Nero CD-DVD speed with a empty DVD-r or DVD+r in the drive?

Hello again, I have disconnected it and put it back in the box, I will connect it again tomorrow on another pc to test, and ill connect it now on this pc again to make the nero picture, hang on.

I get an error when I try to start the test, tried with several blank DVD+R 16x 47GB/120min Advanced AZO+ From Verbatim :frowning:

The error sais, in dutch, Cant simulate with this type of disk,use the function create Datadisk to measure diskprestation.

I also tried the same test with a blank Verbatim CD - R 52X/700MB Extra Protection, these are the results;

Switch to the “Schijf maken [Create disc]” tab and hit “Start” again. In the default “Benchmark” tab, CD-DVD Speed tries to simulate writing to a disc, which the DVD+R format doesn’t support.

I never knew that :x
Thank you for your fast reply,I did what you told me , and it came up with following results after inserting a blank dvd+r 16x 4.7GB/120min Advanced AZO+;

First is normal view,second is maximized

Well, that means that the drive itself is physically fine, if not for burning at least. Now is the test to make sure that it is just the one computer having an issue with the external drive.

Looking forward to your results when you get the chance to try the other computer. :slight_smile: I’m sure someone else will be along to input some information.

I will do that wallace0134, thank you for your help thus far :-).
However,something really funny just happened, I just tried making a duplication of my GW:Eye of the north dvd-rom I bought yesterday, and the copy process went smoothly, and Im now running the burned dvd in the dvd player, I dont understand this…

The only thing that is different now is that the burner is connected to a usb port on the front, which is on the casing itsself, before this it was connected to an usb port on the back, so the motherboard itsself!

Could that have been causing the trouble?
edit: And I just finished making a sucessful backup from an image file.

In any case, it seems its fixed :slight_smile:
Thank you for your help.

Hope that it stays running for you. It’s a good drive. :iagree: Just make sure you watch out for that rear USB port. :wink:

I’ve heard weird stuff about just changing connectors for internal drives, so I don’t see why external USB drives could be any different. It could be caused by a conflict with another USB device trying to share the ports with the drive. Only way is to test and see. :slight_smile:

can someone please help me, im having a similar problem with my drive

it reads and plays all dvds and cds it will also burn cds through itunes
however when i go to use nero it doesnt recognise that i have a burner at all

nero cd speed works for blank cd, but not a blank dvdr

also i have noticed that windows recognises the burner as a DVD-RAM station but when i insert a blank dvd it changes to cd drive

argh someone please help me:(

Hi and Welcome![quote=jarred12345;2023915]
it reads and plays all dvds and cds it will also burn cds through itunes
however when i go to use nero it doesnt recognise that i have a burner at all[/quote]is this the Nero version, that came with the drive, or is it another version?
Try ImgBurn please.

nero cd speed works for blank cd, but not a blank dvdr
Is there any error message? Try also in Safe Mode, please.

also i have noticed that windows recognises the burner as a DVD-RAM station but when i insert a blank dvd it changes to cd drive
This is a “feature” of Windows Explorer, nothing to be worried about.

To sort out issues with your own system, please also try the drive with another computer.

Michael

I just purchased one of these external DVD Writers, and the box says it is version SB03. When I connect it to my PC, and install the nero suite I keep getting a message that my PC doesn’t recognize the hardware. I installed the latest Samsung ODD Firmware, and when I check the "Status’ I get a message saying that “the model installed in your PC is not supportable model.” My PC is a top of the line Dell, about 3 years old running Windows XP Home. I just also purhcsed an external hard drive, and it hooked up and installed in minutes. How is it that this samsung SE-S184M Version SB03 won’t install? When I go into “Start” and “My Computer” there is no evidence that the DVD Writer is even plugged into the USB Port. This is a brand new unit right out of the sealed box. Any suggestions what I can do? Samsung Support was zero help. Thanks!

Hi,

please try the unit with another computer in order to sort out if you got a bad drive or if there is some other issue with your system.

Michael

I’m disabled, and i don’t have any access to antoehr computer. Thanks for the advice anyway. samsung Support wrote me back finally, and said either the unit is bad, or the Drive is obsolete. Makes me wonder why they keep letting people sell these things if they can’t be installed in anyones PC.

I contacted the seller, and asked for a full refund. They agreed to it so that’s the route I’m going.

Hi,[quote=DavesWorld56;2064632]I’m disabled, and i don’t have any access to antoehr computer.[/quote]Well, I thought of a friend or so, since it is not very common to have more than one computer

samsung Support wrote me back finally, and said either the unit is bad, or the Drive is obsolete. Makes me wonder why they keep letting people sell these things if they can’t be installed in anyones PC.
A bad drive is the only option besides issues with the own system.
Admitted, the 184M is dated now, but this shouldn’t prevent the unit from working :wink: Also, it is the right of any dealer to sell old stock.

I contacted the seller, and asked for a full refund. They agreed to it so that’s the route I’m going.
This is the best solution. And if you want to buy another Samsung external drive, then get one of the 20x drives. These are definitely better.

Michael