Samsung SE-S084C

vbimport

I am considering getting the SAMSUNG SE-S084C/RSLN USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive from http://www.pcworld.co.uk/

It will cost £54.99. Here is the link: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-se-s084c-rsln-usb-2-0-8x-dvd-writer-external-optical-drive-03701150-pdt.html

So, what does everyone else think of this drive? Is it worth getting? I plan on writing to Verbatim CD and DVD medium (i also plan on ripping CD and DVD). This drive includes WriteMaster technology.

Just want to get some facts and opinions from others on this forum. :slight_smile:

EDIT: If there are any drives which are better at reading/writing CD/DVD medium than this one, then please suggest it.

[ol]
[li]Any external drive that comes without its own power supply violates the USB specs since the USB port is heavily overloaded.[/li]
[li]You don’t want a slim drive for ripping.[/li][/ol]

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2501037][ol]
[li]Any external drive that comes without its own power supply violates the USB specs since the USB port is heavily overloaded.[/li]
[li]You don’t want a slim drive for ripping.[/li][/ol]
Michael[/QUOTE]

Very useful to know, thank you.

I’ve bought an USB charger which can supply additional power to the drive. In fact there’s a Y USB cable, you can connect one USB tip to the USB and the other one to the computer. It gets the needed power from the USB charger.

[QUOTE=Lvsitano;2501091]I’ve bought an USB charger which can supply additional power to the drive. In fact there’s a Y USB cable, you can connect one USB tip to the USB and the other one to the computer. It gets the needed power from the USB charger.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

[QUOTE=Lvsitano;2501091]I’ve bought an USB charger which can supply additional power to the drive.[/quote]What’s its rated amperage? A slim optical drive needs 1.5A@5V.

In fact there’s a Y USB cable, you can connect one USB tip to the USB and the other one to the computer.
:eek:

Michael

My USB charger supplies 500mA@5V, but as I only use it for reading, the required power is not same as for writing media. And it’s not easy to get one 3.5" external drive and they are much nosier.

You cannot trick physics.
Reading faster leads of course to more noise…

[QUOTE=Lvsitano;2501137]My USB charger supplies 500mA@5V, [/quote]:eek:

And it’s not easy to get one 3.5" external drive and they are much nosier.
I agree. Never seen a 3,5" optical drive (MO perhaps), so such devices must be really hard to get :bigsmile: And I never encountered a nosey drive :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously:
Apart from the power supply advantages, external half-height drives are available without problems for the same or even a lower price. They are more solid and reliable than such a flimsy slim drive of questionable quality. And due to the more “massive” construction, HH drives are at least not louder than slim drives.

My personal favourite is LG GE20NU10 (or GE20LU10).

Michael

You’re right, it was a mistake, I meant 5.25" drive :bigsmile:

As I only use the external drive to read DVD-Video and I guess 1x is enough to read, there’s not much noise with my slim drive.