Samsung SE-S084C External DVD Writer Review

vbimport

I just posted the article Samsung SE-S084C External DVD Writer Review.

We put the SE-S084C, the latest external DVD Writer from Samsung, through its paces.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/samsung-se-s084c-external-dvd-writer-review-22442/](http://www.myce.com/review/samsung-se-s084c-external-dvd-writer-review-22442/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Thanks for the review.
DVD+R writing quality looks very nice for a slim drive.

Excellent review Arachne, the new externals are very interesting with all the interest in Netbooks.

Nice review arachne.

:iagree: Nice work :clap:

As for the conclusion:
I consider that “powered by USB-only” feature together with the absence of a separate power supply and even the possibility to connect an external power source as big MINUS.

No optical drive has a maximum power demand of 2.5W - which is the specified output of an USB port. That means, if the USB port of a given computer (or USB controller card) can not be heavily overloaded, then the unit will not work properly.

Michael

Nice thing with retail TSST writers is, that you can see the firmware revision of the drive printed onto the box.
I had been shopping today, and saw that drive in the shelves of a local electronics store. They had two different boxes, one of them had a sleeve as “free” extra (for 14 € more :eek: ). More interesting: the drives that came with the extra, came with firmware [B]TS00[/B], the other ones had [B]TU00[/B].

Michael

As I travel and use my laptop for business and pleasure I have some additional interest in the read category. Is this R/W drive locked into a single dvd region? In several other places on the web comments or reviews seemed to indicate that read capability was included for both Region 1 and Region 2 dvd disks. Is this dual capability native and available in most units sold in the US?

I’ve been looking for a usb powered, dual region (or region free) unit from a known company for quite a while. Tnx. - nkm

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=nkm;2534250]Is this R/W drive locked into a single dvd region?[/quote][I][B]All[/B][/I] (modern) DVD drives allow maximum 5 changes of the region and are then locked to the last one.
I am not sure if the firmware of this drive can be patched to RPC1 (which will void the warranty). MCSEis able to patch several TSST slim drives’ firmware, but I don’t know if the 084C is supported also.

I’ve been looking for a usb powered, dual region (or region free) unit from a known company for quite a while.
Please be aware that USB powered optical drives violate the USB specs and heavily overload the USB ports. An USB port is specified to deliver 500mA if demanded by the device, an USB powered optical drive needs up to 1500mA. You should ask the manufacturer of your computer if it can handle this massive, 200% overload.

Michael

Is it possible to make this drive RPC1 ? Patch utility didn’t work with this drive firmware :frowning:

[QUOTE=Spoks;2565177]Is it possible to make this drive RPC1 ? Patch utility didn’t work with this drive firmware :([/QUOTE]

Yes it is!

1. Go to Samsung and download the latest SE-S084C firmware released on 14/12/2010 (TS02 firmware that is): http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp
  2. Download the Samsung stand alone flasher: http://www.samsungodd.com/KorLib/File/tsdnwin.exe
  3. Download ala42’s MCSE: http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/
  4. Extract the SE-S084C_TS02.bin firmware file from the Samsung flasher you downloaded by using WinRar/WinZip
  5. Load the SE-S084C_TS02.bin file in MCSE, click the RPC1 box and save it as SE-S084C_TS02_speedpatched.bin
  6. Start the tsdnwin.exe flasher program
  7. Once the flasher opens, load the speedpached firmware in it and then flash your drive.
  8. Reboot when asked and enjoy your new RPC1 drive! :slight_smile:

Thank You, cvs!
Actually I have SE-S084D model drive.
I just thought they must be same, but I am not sure any more :slight_smile:
I downloaded latest S084D firmware (TS01), extracted it and loaded in MCSE, but there are no options available for change - all fields are grey :frowning:

[QUOTE=Spoks;2565454]Thank You, cvs!
Actually I have SE-S084D model drive.
I just thought they must be same, but I am not sure any more :slight_smile:
I downloaded latest S084D firmware (TS01), extracted it and loaded in MCSE, but there are no options available for change - all fields are grey :([/QUOTE]

Merry Christmas!

SE-S084C and SE-S084D are different drives, in fact they are very different in just about all respects, probably due to SE-S084D’s extra ability to behave like a hard disk when connected to a TV/device with an integrated media player.

MCSE doesn’t support it yet. The firmware seems to be quite different from the normal SE-S084x firmwares. Its only 1MB in size rather than 2MB as all the others, which suggests that parts of it might be compressed/encrypted.
Better ask ala42 to see if he can add support for it in MCSE …

Thank You, cvs!

Merry Christmas!

I want to buy this for my company. I will definitely go with this. Thanks for the reviews.

Unfortunately still without RPC1 :frowning:

thanks