Samsung SE-S084B drive reads very slowly with Nero

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SE-S084B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]When I try to burn a CD with Nero Express, the CD is read extremely slow at 150 kb/s, which I think is about 1x speed (it’s supposed to read and write CDs at 24x). It is able to burn at 24x like it’s supposed to, and I tested it out with Nero DiscSpeed and its average read speed is 6.77x.

I also have an internal DVD-ROM in my laptop (which is what my external Samsung is hooked up to) and it is able to read a disc much faster in Nero Express, so it probably has nothing to do with Nero.

I’ve checked to make sure DMA is enabled on the HD, which it is. I also know that the Samsung drive is hooked into a USB 2.0 port, because I thought maybe it was slow because the USB port was only 1.0.

So I’ve basically tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to work. If anyone here can think of something I haven’t tried yet I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Hi and Welcome!

could you please repeat the benchmark test with a data CD?

Michael

Here ya go

Apparently it isn’t just Nero that this drive has a problem with. I tried to rip songs from CD to WAV using foobar2000 and the average read speed hovered between 0.3x and 0.4x.

My last resort is to try this drive on another computer and see if maybe my laptop is the issue.

Is it 2.0 or 1.1 (USB)?

Also, is this a store bought USB drive or did you put it together yourself?

If you did it yourself, what chipset is inside the enclosure?

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2290205]Is it 2.0 or 1.1 (USB)?

Also, is this a store bought USB drive or did you put it together yourself?

If you did it yourself, what chipset is inside the enclosure?[/QUOTE]

It’s USB 2.0. Under device manager it says “Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller”. And yes, I bought it from newegg.com and it’s an external USB DVD-RW drive. You’ll find the technical specs at the top of my first post.

I tried burning another CD with the drive and it verified the data at around 19x, which is what it should be doing. Then I burned two other CDs using the exact same image and it only verified the data at 1x both times.

Whenever it gets to the verification process in Nero, the CD starts spinning fast for about 5 seconds, then it slows way down and never speeds back up after that. Any ideas here?

Hi,

trying the drive with another computer would be a good idea now.

This unit is described as bus powered. Despite this claim, they draw much more power than specified for USB ports (500mA). The USB port is overloaded unless a power supply is used for the drive. Heavy overload can cause lots of issues. Worst case, it might fry the port.

Michael

You might be right about the drive not getting enough power from the USB port. Before I used it on my laptop, I tried it on a desktop computer using its two front USB ports. It would recognize the drive until I put a CD into it, then it would shut on and off every time it tried to spin up the CD, which leads me to believe it wasn’t getting enough power.

I don’t know if it will make any difference if I use the USB ports on the back of the computer, but it’s worth a try.

Sounds like a very good idea, just try it.