Samsung SD-616T Won't Read Specific DVDs

It’s a pretty odd problem, but it has been happening to me. For example, when I put in “The Shield - Season 4” or “Kingdom of Heaven” or “From Dusk Till Dawn”, it won’t read it at all. It is like the drive is totally empty. So AnyDVD doesn’t work since the computer reads it as being empty of media.

But it will read “Sin City - Special Edition” perfectly fine, also my newest DVD. Since this is dual layered, I don’t think that’s the problem. Also, I’d say that most DVDs I have work fine with it. It’s just these select few that never work. I think it might be copy protection or something like that, but I have no clue since I’ve scoured left and right for a solution to this problem.

My Firmware is the most updated I could find, F311 and all the DVDs are in line with my region and aren’t burned.

These are issues tools like AnyDVD create. :Z

They weren’t working before I installed AnyDVD, which has since been uninstalled.

I don’t know how relevant this is, but I just wanted you to know you’re not the only one with this problem. I have an SD-616B (came already fitted into an eMachine), and damn that thing is temperamental.

Before I retired it (it’s still sitting in the other room somewhere), it’d only read half the stuff I fed it, both pressed and burned stuff. I still keep it around 'cause it reads some discs, and if I’m desperate for a ripper…

I just gave up, and fitted a couple of burners instead. I believe, where mine is concerned anyway, that it’s just not the best drive.

I think it might be it, because after using the taks manager and stopping some processes, the disc worked. Then when I restarted my computer and tried to repeat the process the disc wasn’t detected. So I don’t think it’s the copy protection or anything else. I think it is just the drive itself. And I really don’t have the money to replace it. Oh well. No more Samsungs for me.

Which processes have you stopped/killed?

One of the processes was directcd.exe, it seemed to work after that one. But when I tried to do it again upon restart, it didn’t seem to matter, so I have no clue.

Packet-Writing Software. :Z

Uninstall it completely, then restart.

Nope, removed it from my hard drive, still not working. It was the roxio writer program. I’m really at a loss for what is causing it.