Samsung SD-616Q won't recognize any discs

vbimport

No matter what I put in my Samuing SD-616Q, be it a DVD, CD or whatever, it says “insert disc”. Even DVDs and CDs I have successfully played in the drive before. It didn’t used to do this. It performed beautifully for years and then all the sudden- bam! nothing. :a

It opens and closes, and the light comes on. It acts like it is working really hard to read it, but nothing happens.

I tried the Windows troubleshooter- nothing worked from there. Any help would be very appreciated. :bow:

Sarah

try

1.Click Start, and then click Run.

2.In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

4.On the File menu, click Export.

5.In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.

6.Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Note If this data type is missing, go to Method 2.

7.Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

8.Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

If that doesnt help delete Drive in Device Manager and restart, if that doesnt help its more than likely the Drive thats the problem.

You can try it in another computer and see if it works? Or change your cable! I have seen then a few times suddenly go bad. If it still doesn’t work then I’m sorry to say [B] R.I.P [/B] Samsung SD-616Q

Thank you for your replies. I tried the method which robbo suggested, but it didn’t work. I don’t actually own the computer (my dad does) so I won’t try to take it apart and check the cables until I get clearance from him. I didn’t know that drives could just “go bad” and stop working even when the device manager shows them as being okay. I will tell my dad that maybe we should get a new drive. Thanks for the help.

Sarah

Could be the laser has died. “Performing beautifully for years” is a pretty good run really. Have you tried cleaning it?

The device manager can only tells you the there drive is there and connected, there is no way for it know that the laser or something else in the burner is not working. :slight_smile:

I´m sorry, but I think your Samsung is dead! :frowning:

I haven’t tried to clean it. I am thinking about getting a cleaning disc for it. Any recommendations?