Samsung sd-616 (make it read dvd+r?)

Is there any firmware or programs out there i can use in order to make this dvd rom drive read dvd+r discs?

Or if you can make a TEAC DV-W58E change bitsettings(booktype) that would also solve my problem

Thx to all who try to help in advance

Yes, I would like to know this aswell.

Is it possible to upgrade it using the 616E firmware?

Come on guys, i know this forum and your better than this :wink:

No, you can’t use 616E firmware and there probably isn’t a firmware solution to improve playback of recordable DVD discs. I would replace the drive with another brand.

I have the same drive and want to do the same thing. I read on the Dell site where their firmware upgrade to F310 makes the drive read +R. This was for Samsung model# 616T. I am afraid to use this upgrade in case it stuffs up my drive. Anyone out there done this and what was the result. Cheers.

http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=R48750

Here is the page.

I did this to two SD-616F drives, so I know it works.
Grab this file
http://ftp.us.dell.com/rmsd/B6W24301.exe
Run it to make the floppy. Note that SFDNDOS.EXE will complain about the wrong version and won’t flash the drive. So first flash the file with MTKFLASH. I used version 1.83c. Run
MTKFLASH # W /m F310DEL.BIN
and reset the machine. At this point the eject button on the drive no longer functions.
Then use SFDNDOS (from AUTOEXEC.BAT) to reflash the same firmware, and again reset the machine. The eject button still does not work. Finally, use MTKFLASH to go back to the F105 version of the firmware for the drive. The eject button works again and now the drive can read DVD+R discs. The procedure does not work if you skip the SFDNDOS step.

Beware!!

SD616 is not 616F!

After successfully upgrading a third drive to be able to read DVD+R, I decided to try flashing one of the drives with E105 RPC1 firmware. That broke the ability to read the +R discs. I reflashed the drive with F105 but that did not fix it either. After repeating the previously successful steps several times, I could not get the drive to recognize +R media any more. I then remembered that all the drives had started out with the E105 firmware.

I reflashed the broken drive with E105, and power cycled. I then used F310 with MTKFLASH, reset the machine, and reflashed F310 using SFDNDOS. I then immediately (without rebooting) flashed the F105 version, reset the machine and booted into Windows. That restored the ability to read DVD+R discs.

The revised instructions:
First flash the drive with the E105 RPC1 version and power cycle the system.
Get the F310 version from
http://ftp.us.dell.com/rmsd/B6W24301.exe
Run it to make the floppy. SFDNWIN.EXE will complain about the wrong version and won’t flash the drive. SFDNDOS.EXE just reports SKIP and won’t flash it either. So first flash the file with MTKFLASH. I used version 1.83c. Run
MTKFLASH # W /m F310DEL.BIN
and reset the machine. At this point the eject button on the drive no longer functions.
Then use SFDNDOS (from AUTOEXEC.BAT) to reflash the same firmware. Do not reboot at this time. The eject button still does not work. Finally, use MTKFLASH to go back to the F105 version of the firmware for the drive. The eject button works again and now the drive can read DVD+R discs. The procedure must be followed in this exact order.