Samsung SATA drives and Nvidia SATA controllers

Moderator’s note: Post moved to a new thread (split from Samsung drives and VIA SATA controllers)

i won’t bother making another thread just to ask a similar question but, i just bought a samsung 203n sata and i have a asus sli prem nvidia 4 motherboard…what are my chances?

[QUOTE=hellbringer;1932238]i won’t bother making another thread just to ask a similar question [/quote]In that case it might be better to post a new thread. *

but, i just bought a samsung 203n sata and i have a asus sli prem nvidia 4 motherboard…what are my chances?
Nvidia should be okay, provided the SATA controllers are running in IDE compatible mode, and Nvidia’s IDE/SATA drivers are NOT installed.

Michael

• Done.

[QUOTE=hellbringer;1932238]offtopic:

i won’t bother making another thread just to ask a similar question but, i just bought a samsung 203n sata and i have a asus sli prem nvidia 4 motherboard…what are my chances?[/QUOTE]

If …

• Your chipset+BIOS support optical disk drives in SATA
  • Your SATA controller is in a non-RAID mode

then …

• You have very good chances of the drive works OK with your motherboard

else …

• buy a PCI SATA controller ( non-RAID ). Give preference for Silicon Image based boards.

I have a 203B at a Abit KN8 SLI.

Works excellent.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1932246]In that case it might be better to post a new thread. *Nvidia should be okay, provided the SATA controllers are running in IDE compatible mode, and Nvidia’s IDE/SATA drivers are NOT installed.

Michael

• Done.[/QUOTE]

why does everyone hate nvidia sata drivers?

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;1932528]why does everyone hate nvidia sata drivers?[/QUOTE]There were severe issues with these drivers and DVD burners. Maybe they got them fixed with later versions.
For troubleshooting, it is safer to start with Windows default drivers.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1932553]There were severe issues with these drivers and DVD burners. Maybe they got them fixed with later versions.
For troubleshooting, it is safer to start with Windows default drivers.[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
I have never had issuse with nVidia drivers for SATA ODD’s.
I use nForce only.
When were these problems.
I tend to see more problems with Intel of late.
Especially in relation to SATA ODD’s.

[QUOTE=hellbringer;1932238][I]Moderator’s note: Post moved to a new thread (split from Samsung drives and VIA SATA controllers)[/I]

i won’t bother making another thread just to ask a similar question but, i just bought a samsung 203n sata and i have a asus sli prem nvidia 4 motherboard…what are my chances?[/QUOTE]

I have an 680SLi mobo & several 203’s (B/N) currently.
Us nVidia drivers & have no problems whatsoever.

[QUOTE=zebadee;1932560]
I tend to see more problems with Intel of late.
Especially in relation to SATA ODD’s.[/QUOTE]

Off-topic, but the Intel chipset on my (Dell) mobo works very nicely at least with my Optiarc SATA drive. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1932566]Off-topic, but the Intel chipset on my (Dell) mobo works very nicely at least with my Optiarc SATA drive. :)[/QUOTE]

I had heard yours was working purrfeckitty. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=zebadee;1932577]Hi :slight_smile:
I had heard yours was working purrfeckitty. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]:bigsmile: Arachne must have missed your post. :bigsmile:

[I]BTW,[/I] $ntel has sofar always provided very good chipset drivers making SATA function problemfree…
Maybe you had VIA in mind zebadee. :smiley:

No problems here with 3 Intel machines and SATA drives. Not even with eSATA.

[QUOTE=pinto2;1932588]:bigsmile: Arachne must have missed your post. :bigsmile:

[I]BTW,[/I] $ntel has sofar always provided very good chipset drivers making SATA function problemfree…
Maybe you had VIA in mind zebadee. :D[/QUOTE]

Arachne is on kitty litter duty. :bigsmile:
Yes my aplogogies, it was of course VIA :Z I was thinking of. :doh:

I have an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board and am running a Samsung SH-S203B on the nVidia SATA using the nVidia drivers with no problems whatsoever. And I am pretty sure alan1476 is as well (except I believe he has the A8N-SLI Premium board). I also have one on the Sil3114 on that board via eSATA brackets and it runs great too.

I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium. It runs my 203B and a Lite-On LH-20A1S just fine. You MUST install the nVidia drivers for the controller you have the SATA drive attached to though. Otherwise, IIRC it’ll run in PIO Mode 2 instead of UDMA and you’ll be an unhappy fellow.

I have not tried using the Si3114 controller on my board, I put all my drives (HDD and ODD) on the NVidia SATA interface.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1932246]In that case it might be better to post a new thread. *Nvidia should be okay, provided the SATA controllers are running in IDE compatible mode, and Nvidia’s IDE/SATA drivers are NOT installed.

Michael

• Done.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with Nvidia drivers. Along time ago a firmware version for the Benq 1620 was incopmpatible with the current version of nVidia drivers, but that has been fixed. I have been using nVidia drivers for years with no problems.

[QUOTE=hellbringer;1932238][I]i just bought a samsung 203n sata and i have a asus sli prem nvidia 4 motherboard…what are my chances?[/QUOTE]

I hope they are better than mine :(: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sh-s203b-audio-cd-playback-stutter-229910/#post1920469

actually, I had to install nVidia’s SATA driver to get my 203N working with lightscribe.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1932553]There were severe issues with these drivers and DVD burners. Maybe they got them fixed with later versions.
For troubleshooting, it is safer to start with Windows default drivers.[/QUOTE]

I have the motherboard in question (Asus A8N-SLI Premium) and use the newest Nvidia SATA drivers. They work great on my rig.

Just make sure that if you do use them you get the ‘beta’ BIOS update on Asus’ site (1303 or something). Don’t be scared by the ‘beta.’ It has been running on my board for months without issue. Just make sure you update BEFORE you install the drivers.