Samsung S204N slowly dying?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SE-S204N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I got this burner in March or April (I can’t remember). I mainly burn DVD DLs using IMGburn. I’ve been using Memorex, Verbatim and TDK media. Initially, the drive was 100% success with any media with a great quality scan. Very low CI/PO errors / failures in general. Verbatim media was fantastic even on layer 2.

The drive has been slowly deteriorating with increased burn failures. Now most media is close to a 50% failure rate. I have not tested Verbatim as I don’t want to waste the media. I can’t say how many burns I have done but it has to be over 200 maybe close to 300.

Is this was is to be expected? I’ve only had an NEC burner before but since it doesn’t support 4x DL burn speeds, I can’t use the burner anymore but I burnt many more over a longer period of time.

Is there maintenance I should be doing?

Verbatim should be fine, forget the rest of the “junk” DL media and stick with the Verbatim.

[QUOTE=vroom;2143974]Verbatim should be fine, forget the rest of the “junk” DL media and stick with the Verbatim.[/QUOTE]

Ditto anything else besides Verbatim DL=coaster city :iagree: :bigsmile:

Thanks guys. I was burning for months with almost 0 coasters until recently. I’ve gone through many 50 packs of Memorex and TDK with excellent quality burns (according to discspeed). All my burns were rated 95 and up… now my good DL burns are 70 with higher CI and PO errors.

Interesting that a new drive can use any media and burn fine but eventually deteriorate and now require Verbatim…

[QUOTE=lithiumus;2144072]Thanks guys. I was burning for months with almost 0 coasters until recently. I’ve gone through many 50 packs of Memorex and TDK with excellent quality burns (according to discspeed). All my burns were rated 95 and up… now my good DL burns are 70 with higher CI and PO errors.

Interesting that a new drive can use any media and burn fine but eventually deteriorate and now require Verbatim…[/QUOTE]

It is not really all the drives fault but the variance in the media of choice different batches of the
same brand can have big differences in quality. :iagree: Okay say for instance you only use Memorex or
as some like to call them Memowrecks DL discs exclusively nothing else for 1 year you will find that
some batches of them just will not and can not burn as good as the other batches did because of
the variance of the manufacturing process. :bigsmile: It happens with all brands of media +R -R +RDL -RDL
Verbatim, TDK, Memorex, TY, etc., etc., etc. :wink: