Samsung S2 Portable 3 1TB USB3 2.5" HDD review

vbimport

I just posted the article Samsung S2 Portable 3 1TB USB3 2.5" HDD review.

A small portable USB3 pocketable hard disk, yet with a capacity of 1TB. How does it it perform in the real world?
Let’s find out in the review!

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/samsung-s2-portable-3-1tb-usb3-2-5-hdd-review-39665/](http://www.myce.com/review/samsung-s2-portable-3-1tb-usb3-2-5-hdd-review-39665/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

What happened to the 5 comments that were here yesterday?

Moved to a new thread, mainly because the conversation had nothing to do with the reviewed product.

You can read all the comments here.

So out of sight, out of record.

Uses a proprietary cable, where does one get a new of them when it breaks, and at what cost?

Since this drive does not meet the standard for power for USB3, well at least it seems that way, how can it be called a USB drive? Wouldn’t that make it false and misleading advertising?

[QUOTE=Oz.;2573811]Since this drive does not meet the standard for power for USB3, well at least it seems that way, how can it be called a USB drive?[/quote]Because it can be connected to an USB port :smiley:

Wouldn’t that make it false and misleading advertising?
If you looked at the photos of the box, you would have noticed that there is no USB-IF logo. So no “false advertising” :bigsmile:

Michael

[QUOTE=Oz.;2573811]Uses a proprietary cable, where does one get a new of them when it breaks, and at what cost?[/QUOTE]
The included cable is not proprietary. It is a standard USB 3.0 A to micro B cable and even has the SuperSpeed certification logo embedded at both ends. Here’s a couple of them on Amazon UK.

However, Michael is right, neither the HDD itself nor the packaging has the certification logo.

So you have reviewed a USB3 drive which is not a USB3 drive!!

Yet title of this page is USB3.
I can see USB written more than half a dozen times on those photos.
THAT is false adverting.

Why don’t you mention this in review;

THIS DRIVE IS NOT A USB DRIVE SINCE IT DOES NOT MEET THE USB STANDARDS AND IT DOES NOT CARRY THE CERTIFIED LOGO FOR USB. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISC. IT MAY BURN OFF YOUR USB PORTS, YET SAMSUNG WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE SINCE THEY HAVE BEEN SNEAKY ENOUGH TO LEAVE OFF A LOGO, MEANING THEY THINK THEY CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR EQUIPMENT.

I have just bought this product. I´m connecting it to the usb 3 port but it dont work. In device manager it says “Dont start properly - code 10”. I have an ASUS UX31 laptop with Windows 7 64 OS. I have tried to update usb drivers from ASUS and installed Samsung Driver Manager, nothing of this helps.
It works fine in usb 2 port.

Any suggestions what could be wrong?

//Jorgen

[QUOTE=Oz.;2573820]So you have reviewed a USB3 drive which is not a USB3 drive!!

Yet title of this page is USB3.
I can see USB written more than half a dozen times on those photos.
THAT is false adverting.

Why don’t you mention this in review;

THIS DRIVE IS NOT A USB DRIVE SINCE IT DOES NOT MEET THE USB STANDARDS AND IT DOES NOT CARRY THE CERTIFIED LOGO FOR USB. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISC. IT MAY BURN OFF YOUR USB PORTS, YET SAMSUNG WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE SINCE THEY HAVE BEEN SNEAKY ENOUGH TO LEAVE OFF A LOGO, MEANING THEY THINK THEY CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR EQUIPMENT.[/QUOTE]

I have an ASUS G75VW-DS73-3D notebook which has 4 USB3 ports and no USB 2 ports.

My Samsung 1TB USB3 HHD (exactly the one reviewed) has given me a lot of trouble and I’m very happy to find out that the problem is the HHD and not my new $2000 notebook as I had previously suspected.

Sometimes the HHD works properly with the correct velocity but at other times it works at USB2 velocity, or my notebook gives me a warning about a power surge or sometimes just shuts downs power immediately. Most of the times I connect the HHD, my ASUS notebook just ignores it as if it wasn’t there.

The HHD works better with two other notebooks I have (an orange Sony Vaio and an HP Probook) which both have one USB3 port and 3 USB2 ports. However the Vaio also gives power surge warnings from time to time and the HHD doesn’t always work at the right velocity with either.

I’m amazed that Samsung is selling such a piece of junk. The Samsung USB2 HHDs are great - everyone has one and they are very reliable. No-one would suspect that the USB3 version would give such problems. Now I know to look for the official USB3 logo.

Are Samsung or any other manufacturer already producing USB3 HHDs to the official especification?

Any recommendations?