Samsung region code stuck (Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N)

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi All, First post, and not too computer knowledgeable, so please be patient. Was burning DVD using DVDFab5 and the burn failed. During this process, my Samsung SH-203N burner got stuck on region 2, instead of the original region 1, where it was set from the manufacturer. Went into device manager to change code and when I try to reset to region 1, an error from DVD Region Change comes up saying, “Unable to update region setting. Drive reports it requires media of the destination region(region 1), so please insert appropiate media.” The region code box says I have 3 changes left. I know if I use these up, my drive is shot. Is there any way to fix my problem? To make region free or not? Thanks

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Yes, you can make your drive RPC1 (region free) with the use of C0deKing’s Patch Utility (I’ve used this successfully on my own 203N).

I think it may possibly void any warranty on the drive, though.

Aside from that, I’ve had similar errors when trying to change the region of some of my drives - have you tried having an R1 disc in the drive when you change the region in Device Manager?

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile: I just tried running device manager, with administrative privileges, and with a region 1 disc in the burner. The error changed to " Unable to update region setting. Please make sure the drive contains a region 1 media and you have administrative privilege". It just won’t let me change it no matter what. How do I use that patch. Can’t use the drive, so will try anything to fix. What I really am curious about, is what changed the region code?

Possibly you played or ripped a region 2 disc, and the ripping software may have changed the region without your knowledge. :slight_smile:

As for using the patch, the post I linked to pretty much explains it all - first you’ll need to download the latest official firmware for the 203N (SB02 as far as I know, available from http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp ), then follow this link, which explains how to extract the .bin file from the firmware package (.exe file) you’ve downloaded.

Once you’ve successfully extracted the .bin file from the firmware package, see our Samsung FAQ for how to flash your patched firmware.

If you read C0deKing’s post carefully (plus my links above), and do things step-by-step, you should be fine - of course, if there’s any doubt along the way, feel free to ask what to do next. :slight_smile:

BTW, I’ve moved your thread to our Samsung Burner forum, where Moderator Michael can provide further help. :slight_smile:

Went to Samsung site and it said there are no new firmware downloads for the SH-203N. SB01 is the only version right now I guess.

Hi,[quote=snooziesusie;2169318]Went to Samsung site and it said there are no new firmware downloads for the SH-203N. SB01 is the only version right now I guess.[/quote]:disagree: Latest firmware for your drive (SH-S203N) is SB02. Use the link provided by Arachne and enter 203N into the search field. You should then be able to find all firmwares released for that drive.

clickedyclick :slight_smile:

Michael

^ Yep…I’m using SB02 on my own 203N, so it definitely exists :slight_smile:

Found the firmware, patched it and am now using dvd writer region free. Thank you all very much. Media player and Nero won’t rcognize any movies I might play in it, but that is OK. Everything will play in VLC player and have been using DVDFab5. Can you reccomend a better program than DVDFab. Have some problems with it at times.

Glad you got your drive patched OK :smiley:

As for better software than DVDFab…I use it myself and have never had a problem, but if you like you can try the AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 combo from www.slysoft.com - both have a 21-day fully functional trial period. :slight_smile: