Samsung privacy policy: We might capture anything private you say near our TVs

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Samsung privacy policy: We might capture anything private you say near our TVs[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/02/myce-samsung-smart-tv-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

The privacy policy of Samsung Smart TVs with voice recognition advises users to not talk about personal or sensitive subjects next to the device as it can be captured and transmitted to a third party. The Smart TV’s privacy policy also reveals what other data Samsung collects.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/samsung-privacy-policy-we-might-capture-anything-private-you-say-near-our-tvs-74801/](http://www.myce.com/news/samsung-privacy-policy-we-might-capture-anything-private-you-say-near-our-tvs-74801/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It’s getting harder and harder to tell the difference between GCHQ & NSA and companies like Samsung & Google.

Data acquisition is the sole objective for everyone - grab everything you can get away with, then store it just in case you find a profitable use for it. They’re all at it.

The clause may have been put there by an over enthusiastic legal department to cover their backs just in case, or it may be there for a sinister purpose. The problem is we just don’t know what Samsung are doing now, let alone what they intend to do in the future.Â

I wonder if there are similar clauses incorporated into the terms & conditions of Samsung’s phones? The smartphone is the most effective mass surveillance system ever created, yet people still queue all night to buy them.

And the main objective of Google’s Streetview project may have been to map wireless networks, not roads. They gathered vast quantities of private network traffic, not just SSIDs, and stored it even after the courts ruled it was breaking the law.

far too many devices are coming with microphones and connectivity… I didn’t know SS smart TV’s had a microphone… I suppose it’s part of the built-in web cam of new versions of the hdtv’s…

One device, One function.

[QUOTE=debro;2747405]One device, One function.[/QUOTE] One ring to rule them all. :cool:

I’m sure there are other useful ways the webcam and microphone could be used on TVs, such as keeping an eye on the kids while making dinner or as a CCTV camera when the TV is not in use.

Yet all the manufacturers can think of is how to use it for data collecting to personalise adverts.

In my opinion, the best way to get a new TV is to get a non-smart TV if possible and get your own set-top box to provide the “Smart” features. I’m sure this would also work out a lot cheaper than buying a TV with all the bells & whistles built in. If the set-top box goes out of date, you can just buy another, unlike the TV’s built-in features that often can’t be updated without replacing the whole TV.

While listening to the national radio station RTÉ 2FM on my way home, they mentioned about this on their news bulletin, i.e. that Samsung are warning not to talk about anything personally or financially sensitive in front of your Samsung Smart TV, specifically their voice activated models.

"In my opinion, the best way to get a new TV is to get a non-smart TV if possible and get your own set-top box to
provide the “Smart” features. I’m sure this would also work out a lot
cheaper than buying a TV with all the bells & whistles built in. If
the set-top box goes out of date, you can just buy another, unlike the
TV’s built-in features that often can’t be updated without replacing the
whole TV."     Unfortunately these days anything but the base models are going to be Smart. Thankfully, only a very few have voice recognition. As for add on boxes, I would imagine they are just as bad for collecting and forwarding collected data. Better to use a cheap laptop that you can actually control. [b]As for Samsung, never sold it, never will sell it. 

[/b]

^:bigsmile:

^:clap::clap::bigsmile:

Proposed standardised privacy policy for the IT industry:

[I]“You privacy rights - None.[/I][I]”[/I]

We have a Panasonic Smart TV. Voice input for that is from a special remote, but since the TV would flip out if it had to rely on my speech :), and hubby is a technophobe, the batteries are removed from that remote. The TV doesn’t have a webcam either.

The only apps we use regularly are the weather app, and some catchup TV apps.
The other app we use a lot is the media streamer app, which we use for streaming video and music from the file server PC over WiFi.

Yep, Samsung TV the same - remove the batteries from the smart remote and the microphone is disabled.

I’d like to see Samsung’s CEO react to me recording everything that happens in his house. Imagine what he’d say if I sold videos of him and his guests to strangers on the street. Then, let him consider not using an anti-privacy policy.

This is quite creepy,
when I first bought my Samsung TV, I [B]pretended[/B] to get annoyed when the voice controlled remote wouldn’t understand what I was asking. I got more and more annoyed with it, (smiling) I thought I would use some very naughty language. It replied! “PLEASE CALM DOWN” appeared on the screen and then it said “now try again, please keep your temper in check”. Err, what was that? the built in AI, or was some one listening???

The batteries are now removed from the SMART remote with the microphone.
I should have taken a photo to prove it was real, but I never thought some one could be on the other end, I assumed it was the AI, it probably was, but I’m not taking any chances. :eek:

^ reminds of me of this video.

I’d love to see that Scottish man try one of these TVs… :wink:

Now, that is funny. :smiley:

Oddly, Samsung makes absolutely no mention of what they do with video from the built-in web cameras!

Glad I not got any Smart TVs. PC is enough this way.

The thing about the TV is “that’s why you bought the TV” and probley paid extra for it. and as old dancer says “what about the web cams” We (including me) buy all of this stuff and at the time do not relies what is going on on the other side. Just like the Bluetooth cars. What are we giving up for advance tech?

Marty