Samsung PM1725a 6.4TB SSD

Samsungs answer to PCI4.0 from AMD. This can be used with Intel boards and chipsets and its still extremely fast.

1 Like

The only question I have is " Can it be used as a boot drive" If it cannot, its worthless to me.

1 Like

Its an enterprise SSD so probably you wont be able to boot from it.
In any case, enterprise grade SSD’s tend not to do well with consumer workloads.

2 Likes

Thank you Wendy, its so weird, I can read all the specs and they never say whether its bootable or not. I would think that would be an important spec.

2 Likes

Data centers tend to try and avoid having to reboot their systems.
Also, a data center is very unlikely to use one of these drives as their boot drive.
If the drive was bootable, I’m pretty sure Samsung would have mentioned it in the specs.

1 Like

The only reason I even took a second look at these because they were PCIe 8X, all the othe PCIe ssds were 4X.

They are PCIe3 x8
AMD Ryzen has as much bandwidth with PCIe4 x4.

In all honesty, its irrelevant anyway. A home PC user, even a video professional will never generate a workload that will even remotely take advantage of an enterprise SSD.

It’s only relevant if you want to have the highest IOPS benchmarks.
Its the same with CPU’s
Whats the point of having a 16 core CPU, if your workload can’t even take advantage of an 8 core CPU?

Then there is the power consumption of that enterprise SSD.
My 970 EVO consumes 8 watts. That enterprise SSD consumes 40 watts.
Have you got money to burn?
I haven’t.

1 Like

I havent got money for most things much less extravagance. Most of the computers I have built, I get a lot of parts free from vendors I have made friends with on Facebook. I have knack for building computers that look nice but then I have to use what parts are sent to me. As for the SSDs, I just thought if this would boot , over 6TB for 1,000, if I do the math correctly is not that bad of a deal. But its not bootable so I wouldnt be interested in it anyway. Thanks Wendy

Is this for a new build?
If so, do you have the rest of the components?
Or do you still have to get them?
If you still have to get them, do you have anything planned?

Is it for an existing build?
If so, what is already in the build?

1 Like

Waiting for the AMD 3950X , EK is sending me all the hardtubing (PETG) and res and pump and rads for my WC. The new Crosshair Asus with wifi for the Mobo, and Cable Mod is sending me all the cables ( white) for the PSU. I am also getting a ton of stuff from Corsair, like the Black 570X Case and other things, I have some of the parts but I am waiting to make sure they all arrive before I start. I will take pics and post them when its underway. I was going to use the Samsung 1725A in my 9900K build, but just yesterday I got a good offer for it so I let it go, I still have a nice 8700k build in my den so it can all wait. I am going to use the Corsair Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD for the OS , and a few older sata ssds for my data drives. Asus 2080 GPU ROG.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Storage/M-2-SSDs/Force-Series™-Gen-4-PCIe-NVMe-M-2-SSD/p/CSSD-F2000GBMP600

All good choices IMO.
The 3950X is incredible.
I have the Asus Crosshair Hero X370 board, and its been very reliable. The great thing about the AM4 platform, is I could drop one of those 3950X in my X370 board and it would work, as its supported now in the BIOS.
I wont because i’m still very happy with my RyZen 1700 CPU.

I’m looking forward to seeing some pics of that beast when you have it built.

1 Like