Samsung PM1725a 6.4TB SSD

Samsungs answer to PCI4.0 from AMD. This can be used with Intel boards and chipsets and its still extremely fast.

1 Like

The only question I have is " Can it be used as a boot drive" If it cannot, its worthless to me.

1 Like

Its an enterprise SSD so probably you wont be able to boot from it.
In any case, enterprise grade SSD’s tend not to do well with consumer workloads.

2 Likes

Thank you Wendy, its so weird, I can read all the specs and they never say whether its bootable or not. I would think that would be an important spec.

2 Likes

Data centers tend to try and avoid having to reboot their systems.
Also, a data center is very unlikely to use one of these drives as their boot drive.
If the drive was bootable, I’m pretty sure Samsung would have mentioned it in the specs.

1 Like

The only reason I even took a second look at these because they were PCIe 8X, all the othe PCIe ssds were 4X.

They are PCIe3 x8
AMD Ryzen has as much bandwidth with PCIe4 x4.

In all honesty, its irrelevant anyway. A home PC user, even a video professional will never generate a workload that will even remotely take advantage of an enterprise SSD.

It’s only relevant if you want to have the highest IOPS benchmarks.
Its the same with CPU’s
Whats the point of having a 16 core CPU, if your workload can’t even take advantage of an 8 core CPU?

Then there is the power consumption of that enterprise SSD.
My 970 EVO consumes 8 watts. That enterprise SSD consumes 40 watts.
Have you got money to burn?
I haven’t.

1 Like

I havent got money for most things much less extravagance. Most of the computers I have built, I get a lot of parts free from vendors I have made friends with on Facebook. I have knack for building computers that look nice but then I have to use what parts are sent to me. As for the SSDs, I just thought if this would boot , over 6TB for 1,000, if I do the math correctly is not that bad of a deal. But its not bootable so I wouldnt be interested in it anyway. Thanks Wendy

Is this for a new build?
If so, do you have the rest of the components?
Or do you still have to get them?
If you still have to get them, do you have anything planned?

Is it for an existing build?
If so, what is already in the build?

1 Like

Waiting for the AMD 3950X , EK is sending me all the hardtubing (PETG) and res and pump and rads for my WC. The new Crosshair Asus with wifi for the Mobo, and Cable Mod is sending me all the cables ( white) for the PSU. I am also getting a ton of stuff from Corsair, like the Black 570X Case and other things, I have some of the parts but I am waiting to make sure they all arrive before I start. I will take pics and post them when its underway. I was going to use the Samsung 1725A in my 9900K build, but just yesterday I got a good offer for it so I let it go, I still have a nice 8700k build in my den so it can all wait. I am going to use the Corsair Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD for the OS , and a few older sata ssds for my data drives. Asus 2080 GPU ROG.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Storage/M-2-SSDs/Force-Series™-Gen-4-PCIe-NVMe-M-2-SSD/p/CSSD-F2000GBMP600

All good choices IMO.
The 3950X is incredible.
I have the Asus Crosshair Hero X370 board, and its been very reliable. The great thing about the AM4 platform, is I could drop one of those 3950X in my X370 board and it would work, as its supported now in the BIOS.
I wont because i’m still very happy with my RyZen 1700 CPU.

I’m looking forward to seeing some pics of that beast when you have it built.

1 Like

[OT] The 3950X is phenomenal. For months all the experts had been warning that when it arrived it would consume vastly more power and would need rediculous cooling and a high end 570 motherboard. But lo and behold it arrives and consumes the same power as the 3900X, or even a bit less. Bravo AMD. Their chiplet strategy is a great leap forward. Same silicon CPU cores for everything, from budget desktop to servers & supercomputers. Just binned and packaged accordingly.

If you really want to salivate, have a look at Samsung’s 2.5" enterprise SSDs. >30TB in a single 15mm high drive, originally SAS but IIRC now available as U.2. If your pockets were deep enough, one could enjoy unimaginable levels performance & storage density. 4 drives could give 60TB of mirrored storage at maybe >4GB per second if striped in pairs, yet fit in all but the smallest of cases.

Or at the other end of the scale, Broadberry sell a 4U rack server which holds 102 3.5" drives. Fill it with those Samsung SAS drives in 2.5-3.5" adapters, set to high capacity mode, and that’s 3.26 Petabytes in a single average size rack server. (With each individual drive capable of 2GB/sec+.)

Dear Santa…

1 Like

I have been using Intel CPUs for a very long time, and I am about to embark on a new journey The AMD 3950X

Hi…you can easily put 16 enterprise SSD disks of 2TB in a 2U chassis (32TB raw) and be done for below And then you would be able to hot swap them and use hardware raid if you’d want to.
So I’d wonder what the target audience would be if the price would be really high. Perhaps using 1U servers and vSAN? Or perhaps situations where speed would matter more than reliability?

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the 3950X. It is hard to think of anything negative about it. One has to admire AMD for releasing it, given that it will undoubtedly take sales away from Threadripper.

The 3950X is a mini-Threadripper, but at a mainstream price & power/cooling requirements. And without the single-threaded performance disadvantage of previous high-core processors.

As Windows has fundemental issues scaling across many cores, even for multi-threaded applications which should scale well, 16 cores is probably the sweet spot.

If you are running Windows (and don’t need the additional PCI express lanes) it is now difficult to make a rational case for buying Threadripper or Intel’s HEDT/workstation processors. Even if cost is of no object.

Looking forward to see photos when it’s completed. :flower:

The issue I am having is that everyone is out of stock and they are selling for a 400 premium on Ebay New. I dont think this premium will last long past CHRISTMAS but I would really like to start the build.

Looks like the speculators are yet again ruining things for everyone. The only course of action is to never ever buy from them. Just try to pre-order at a sensible price and wait.

Hopefully AMD will be able to produce enough of this part. It clearly requires the better binned chiplets, but hopefully only on a par with the server parts, not the top 0.0001% (like certain Intel parts).

Intel has resorted to cherry-picking a handful of golden samples, overclocking them to the hilt by default and announcing them as a new top-end halo part. The few that exist get handed out to the usual stooges for the publicity and the “new processor” is released at a list price designed to dissuade anyone from actually attempting to purchase one, less they find out that the new part doesn’t actually exist in any meaningful sense.

If they can keep up with demand (which I am sure they will) then the 3950X can be considered a piece of superb engineering, not just cherry picking & marketing.

1 Like

Build log

So as of right now the part list would look something like this:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950x
Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Wifi
RAM: G Skill 64 Gb 3600Mhz
Storage: 2 Tb Corsair MP600 SSD
GPU: RTX 2080 ti (asus)
Case: Corsair Crystal 570x
PSU: Corsair HX1000 Platinum (modular)
Fans: 6x Corsair LL120
watercooling- all EK waterblocks and either stainless steel tubing or PETG with white coolant- D5 Pump and short res and a 360 rad.
Looking for a good digital water temp kit to put on the line going to the CPU