Samsung plans iTunes like software to up its MP3 player sales

I just posted the article Samsung plans iTunes like software to up its MP3 player sales.

Korea's largest electronics maker, Samsung  Electronics, aims to lead the MP3 player market by developing a software player  and music store similar to that of iTunes.  They figure that...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11058-Samsung-plans-iTunes-like-software-to-up-its-MP3-player-sales.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11058-Samsung-plans-iTunes-like-software-to-up-its-MP3-player-sales.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

here’s an idea: 25 cents a track.

I’m not sure how serious Samsung is about this iTunes-like service. Samsung years ago started web-based communite service called Unitel in South Korea. Unitel never became No. 1 even though it had the largest flow of money. Some of the largest web service in South Korea are Daum.net, Cyworld, Naver, Yahoo Korea, etc, each ranking very high among the world’s largest websites as well since South Korea is relatively well connected and people here like to gather in places already full of tens of millions of people. Samsung didn’t contribute to those growths much. They are hardware guys, not for software.

I think a company should stick to what they’re best at, and just do it better. Sticking your fingers into other pies, where everyone already has their finger in that pie, is not the best idea in my opinion.

samsung probably wants to be or beat sony at every angle even though samsung is more like a semi company & sony is more like gaming company

Well you could have said the same thing about Apple before they released iTunes.

3 words… WASTE OF TIME You don’t stand a chance Samsung
[edited by Rhelic on 31.10.2005 19:46]

Music is price fixed, iTunes songs aren’t $.99 because of Apple, it’s the music companies. And $1 a song isn’t a bad deal imho. This has been true for awhile as Walmart has been pushing against the music industry because it wants to sell CDs at $9.99 instead of the ~$13 pricetag they have now.

Actually, Sony is an electronics company whereas Samsung is at virtually everything from international trading to credit card. They are into hospitals, universities, retail, internet, mobile, construction, defense, just everything. Sony sells software like movies and games to make it easier to sell their electronics hardware products. To see the difference, better understand the recent 50 year history of South Korea and Japan. South Korea is Samsung Republic to many.

Apple started as a micro computer company. Its first big success was Macintosh, a combination of micro computer hardware and graphical user interface operation system. Hardware wasn’t much different from IBM’s PC but people found Apple’s unique OS attractive and even prestigeous. Like with Macintosh, Apple was ahead of the rest with iTunes. Looking back, I was a little negative about iTunes when it was first announced because people had been so used to download music without paying to anyone. (Still true in many countries outside the US.)

A little competition is healthy. As for saying that it’ll be the iTunes killer… [I]dream on.[/I] Maybe in Asian markets where iTunes hasn’t succeeded, maybe.

A little competition is healthy. As for saying that it’ll be the iTunes killer… [I]dream on.[/I] Maybe in Asian markets where iTunes hasn’t succeeded, maybe.