Samsung Magician refuses to update firmware without collecting personal data

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Samsung Magician refuses to update firmware without collecting personal data[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/05/myce-samsung-magician-95x75.gif[/newsimage]

Samsung’s SSD toolbox, Magician, requires users to agree to collection of personal data, if they don’t, they can’t upgrade their firmware. Users are presented with a privacy policy after they’ve agreed to the terms and conditions. The privacy policy has an accompanying text stating that if users not agree, they won’t be able to update their firmware.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/samsung-magician-refuses-update-firmware-without-collecting-personal-data-79420/](http://www.myce.com/news/samsung-magician-refuses-update-firmware-without-collecting-personal-data-79420/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

That is just down right rotten of them
Guess I will not be buying any Samsung drives

Another example of how many big IT companies no longer treat people who buy their products as customers, but rather as serfs.

Serfs have no real rights, and the company overlords can treat their serfs and their systems and data however they choose - whether it’s grabbing their data (Samsung), deleting their music (Apple) or forcing unwanted software (Microsoft) on their serfs.

Big IT companies have been getting away with this behaviour for a while now without any real punishments, so they are getting less and less respectful towards customers and more companies want to be overlords rather than suppliers.

It’s a sad state of affairs.

4.5 is still the last available version of Magician available for Win-7 systems.

Nobody has asked for private info here. 3x 850 EVO running here.

You guys should know better than to let this crap bother you, what kind of personal data that any of you do are they interested in? You think your on Most Wanted list or something the way you guys react to this. They want to know how many gbs you use, they want to know what Samsung drives are most popular. They are not interested the your pron collection LOL.:wink:

Alan
Then they should ask and not force you, that’s call spying and there is plenty going on already for the almighty sales dollar.

Free country means the right to say no and not have firmware of all things held for ransom.

[QUOTE=bean55;2774412]Alan
Then they should ask and not force you, that’s call spying and there is plenty going on already for the almighty sales dollar.

Free country means the right to say no and not have firmware of all things held for ransom.[/QUOTE]

I would bet that if you actually read all the Eula papers when you downloaded the software, its in there someplace. This is business, its not personal, they couldnt give a darn you are having 20 affairs, they want to know your specific uses for their hardware, so they can make it better for you to use. South Korea is not invading your neighborhood anytime soon.:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Suggest most emphatically that any of you 20 somethings out there that couldn’t care less about big companies collecting every scrap of info they can, read (if you are capable) Orwell’s 1985 and Huxley’s A Brave new World. Fair warning though, both books contain many words with more than one syllable. You might also (if you can tear yourself away from Facebook) read up on WHY WW2 was actually fought.

As for Samsung, they can shove their products where the sun don’t shine. My company explicitley refuses to sell their products because of their general conceit and abuse of their customers.

[QUOTE=CDan;2774403]4.5 is still the last available version of Magician available for Win-7 systems.

Nobody has asked for private info here. 3x 850 EVO running here.[/QUOTE]
4.9 is available for Win 7, that’s what I was offered and installed at the end of last year.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2774417]Orwell’s 1985[/QUOTE] Is it as scary as the first book in the series, “1984” ? :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=roho;2774422]4.9 is available for Win 7, that’s what I was offered and installed at the end of last year.[/QUOTE]
4.5 here and it says it is up to date. Wonder if its driver dependent… I use an older AMD SATA driver.

Also… I’ve never had to update a EVO firmware.

I would bet that if you actually read all the Eula papers when you downloaded the software, its in there someplace. This is business, its not personal, they couldnt give a darn you are having 20 affairs, they want to know your specific uses for their hardware, so they can make it better for you to use. South Korea is not invading your neighborhood anytime soon.

And if every part manufacture does the same thing. Then you have 20 process’s running on your machine collecting your data using your energy and processing power.
What happens when these guys software that’s collecting data on your machine starts conflicting on your machine and it keeps freezing waiting for each one to get there data.

It’s not the point of hiding anything ( we all know that’s impossible ) but there should be limits and we should have the right to say stop already I would like to use My Computer For Myself, and not just for collecting sale’s data for you.

Just My 3 cents worth :iagree: :smiley:

[QUOTE=bean55;2774455]And if every part manufacture does the same thing. Then you have 20 process’s running on your machine collecting your data using your energy and processing power.
What happens when these guys software that’s collecting data on your machine starts conflicting on your machine and it keeps freezing waiting for each one to get there data.

It’s not the point of hiding anything ( we all know that’s impossible ) but there should be limits and we should have the right to say stop already I would like to use My Computer For Myself, and not just for collecting sale’s data for you.

Just My 3 cents worth :iagree: :D[/QUOTE] Do you know what surprises me bean55? That some people think this is still a free world, with privacy and all the other great things before the internet made everyones life public. You do have an alternative, just dont use the internet. You know they are invading your privacy right? But you continue to use the very thing that you hate. So who’s fault is this?:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

This is not even the point of using the internet, it’s parts of the computer wanting to use your computer for other things ( collecting Data ) and holding firmware upgrades hostage unless you cooperate. :disagree:

It’s just wrong. :iagree:

You do have an alternative, just dont use the internet

I do have a couple of machine’s that never touch the internet :iagree: :bigsmile:

I think you should do a web search to find out what the term “personal information” means because none of the information being collected is personal information. It’s only hardware information. So this entire story, beginning with the headline, is incredibly misleading. That said, if you aren’t experiencing the issues that are being fixed by this firmware upgrade, why are you running the update? You won’t benefit from it, so just don’t do it if collecting information about your computer’s hardware bothers you.

collecting information about your computer’s hardware bothers you.

Collecting information is not what bothers me it’s holding firmware hostage for it that bothers me.
You would think they would want to support there parts and keep them updated for better performance so you would buy more of there parts.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2774410]You guys should know better than to let this crap bother you, what kind of personal data that any of you do are they interested in? You think your on Most Wanted list or something the way you guys react to this. They want to know how many gbs you use, they want to know what Samsung drives are most popular. They are not interested the your pron collection LOL.;)[/QUOTE]

The problem is that once you let them in the door they can come and go as they please and just maybe hackers can use the same door for whatever purpose they choose. Would anyone want to allow a stranger access to their home whenever they desired? My computer is my “digital home” and I really don’t like the idea of some entity having access to it on their terms and not mine.

[QUOTE=bean55;2774983]Collecting information is not what bothers me it’s holding firmware hostage for it that bothers me.
You would think they would want to support there parts and keep them updated for better performance so you would buy more of there parts.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=UTR;2774984]The problem is that once you let them in the door they can come and go as they please and just maybe hackers can use the same door for whatever purpose they choose. Would anyone want to allow a stranger access to their home whenever they desired? My computer is my “digital home” and I really don’t like the idea of some entity having access to it on their terms and not mine.[/QUOTE]
I think you just managed to sum it up :clap::iagree::clap:

“We are only trying to know [I]exactly[/I] what kind of hardware you’re using, as well as your IP address, which may or may not be used to estimate your physical location, name, and god knows what else. This message has been brought to you by the same corporation that uses phones to track everything you do online, and uses our TVs to record everything that gets said near said TVs. We also have been privacy-insensitive enough to transmit said data over the internet without any form of encryption, whatsoever.”

I may have made this quote up, but that doesn’t make it any less true. Samsung has transmitted live conversations, which have been captured by their TVs, to home base without encryption. I forget if they’re still doing it, but somehow I wouldn’t be surprised if they were. Also, as far as anyone is allowed to know, Samsung may be secretly collecting other information that isn’t stated in their privacy agreement. Such is the problem with proprietary software in general: you’re not allowed to know how it works, which ultimately means you’re not allowed to know if it’s doing something it isn’t [I]supposed[/I] to be doing.

Also, somehow I doubt the license agreement is going to say what that data is [I]actually[/I] used for, or whom it’s shared with. If it is shared, it’s probably shared with unspecified parties referred to as “partners”, “affiliates”, or the like. I doubt Samsung would actually name individual parties (since the NSA doesn’t want you to know what they know about you).

How strange, now you cannot download magician from samsung site any more.