Samsung Magican 4.3 Released

vbimport

Samsung has made a lot of Samsung 840 Pro owners very happy today. With the release of Version 4.3 the Samsung Magician now enabled Rapid Mode. Its not just for the EVO anymore. I can most probably make it faster than this but I have all my C-States turned on. You can download V4.3here

Wow - this is good news for 840 Pro users.

Those 4K-64Thrds are awesome.

Regds, JR

Isn’t it using system RAM as a Cache for the SSD?

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2712568]Isn’t it using system RAM as a Cache for the SSD?[/QUOTE]

No not at all, if I used system cache RAM as cache, it would be 7X that total. As in a RAM disc.:disagree:

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2712555]Wow - this is good news for 840 Pro users.

Those 4K-64Thrds are awesome.

Regds, JR[/QUOTE]

Whats so good about this, that I do not have my system in Advanced Samsung Performance Mode, nor do I have my system fudged with the C-States turned off and other things that some of the reviews do to enhance their scores.:disagree::disagree:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2712586]No not at all, if I used system cache RAM as cache, it would be 7X that total. As in a RAM disc.:disagree:[/QUOTE]
The SATA-III (6Gbps) link isn’t even capable of the speeds your drive now benchmarks at in some of those tests. It therefore has to be using something else to generate those numbers. According to several reviews I’ve read that something else is system RAM. link

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2712601]The SATA-III (6Gbps) link isn’t even capable of the speeds your drive now benchmarks at in some of those tests. It therefore has to be using something else to generate those numbers. According to several reviews I’ve read that something else is system RAM. link[/QUOTE]

Here is the exact way it works

The cache resides in main memory and [B]is allocated out of non-paged kernel[/B]
[B]memory[/B]. In fact, that’s the easiest way to determine whether or not RAPID is
actually working - you’ll see non-paged kernel memory jump in size after about a
minute of idle time on your machine

Samsung Magician’s RAPID Mode uses RAM as cache, but it uses RAM less aggressively than the way one can make use of RAM-based drives. Like all other options using volatile memory’s it adds risk while increasing performance.

I have only been using it for a day, so I cant say whether its stable or not, but so far so good, my RAM disc Software on the other hand is 8X faster than this on the same drive. I find that to be also very stable, using it longer.

It’s not about stability. SDRAM’s stable. SSD + SDRAM can be also stable. What’s not stable is the electricity powering them. It can be about as stable as other RAM-based drives and disks.

I’ve been using RAPID mode since the 4th of August with no problems.
It does use the PC’s RAM as a cache, and therefore could potentially have a problem with a system crash or power outage.
I’ve had neither so can only say that so far RAPID mode has been without any issues.

I have a Samsung Ultrabook with a Samsung SSD inside and unfortunately I can’t use it :frowning:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2712647]I have a Samsung Ultrabook with a Samsung SSD inside and unfortunately I can’t use it :([/QUOTE]

You never can tell what the future may bring, I was very surprised, even though it was talked about at CES when the EVO was introduced, that the 840 Pro would be enabled for Rapid Mode, I never thought it would happen. So don’t lose hope.:smiley:

I’m with Dee, I’ve been using rapid mode since the EVO’s came out and I bought a 500 Gig drive. No hassle what so ever and yes it is fast however it does it. I’m most impressed. I thought my old Samsung 830 was good, but this is amazing. :slight_smile:

Samsung’s a most conservative company when it comes to providing enabling tools to end users and consumers of home electronics and computers. RAPID Mode for 840 EVO and 840 Pro’s probably being done just to test the market response. It often takes two or three years for Samsung to do something competitors like Lite-On IT (in ODD) and OCZ (in SSD) would complete in several weeks.

The company invests a lot on software. It had its own word processor to compete against Microsoft Word. It had its own operating system software, actually more than one, like Bada and invested a lot into customizing Windows Mobile and Windows Phone. Considering the amount of billions of dollars wasted in such efforts, the outcome’s typically “worse than none offered.” End users tend to switch to third-party tools. Omnia I and Omnia II have been symbolic of its software failure (despite its leadership ahead of Apple and others in hardware) before joining Android followers. Japan Inc. has been a bigger example though spending decades to create and spread Japanese version of DOS and OS/2. There were at least ten electronics makers in Japan able to produce far better smartphones than Galaxy series during the past three years, but none was able to export as many to Europe and North America. That was primarily because global users became increasingly concerned more about software than hardware. Part of it’s probably related to the fact Samsung (along with thousands of other South Korean companies) was heavily globalized during the late 1990s selling half of its shares to foreigners and building R&D centers and design labs in each continent and each key market.

Therefore, I was sort of impressed some months ago to find out the Magician software worked better than I had expected. Translation’s still imperfect. You can see right now at the bottom saying “… one 840 PRO, 840 EVO,840 EVO …” There should have been a space between 840 EVO and 840 EVO mSATA. Click Secure Erase. The Warning says “… you back up your data first” but the Note says “please backup the data currently stored…” The former sentence uses back as a verb and to back up clearly means to make a backup, but the latter uses backup to mean to back up. Such inconsistencies do not cause misunderstanding or confusion, but it’s a problem inherent with Samsung’s organizational structure.

Something seems wrong. Magician says “There is insufficient free space available to set up OP” when the 120GB 840 EVO SSD has 95GB free space.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2712700]Something seems wrong. Magician says “There is insufficient free space available to set up OP” when the 120GB 840 EVO SSD has 95GB free space.[/QUOTE]Do you understand what over provisioning is? How exactly would you suggest they allow overprovisioning on a drive that is 100% utilized by partitions?

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2712709]Do you understand what over provisioning is? How exactly would you suggest they allow overprovisioning on a drive that is 100% utilized by partitions?[/QUOTE]

I guess by now you are also a user of either 840 Pro or 840 EVO, or both. Congratulations.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2712700]Something seems wrong. Magician says “There is insufficient free space available to set up OP” when the 120GB 840 EVO SSD has 95GB free space.[/QUOTE]

Something’s probably changed. Only up to 9% or 10.06GB is allowed (actually taking about 11.1GB.) Or, perhaps it’s to do with some temporarily unmovable files.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2712716]I guess by now you are also a user of either 840 Pro or 840 EVO, or both. Congratulations.[/QUOTE]
I’m not sure what SSDs I own have to do with anything… But, you sure seem to have a knack for dodging questions.

Maybe you should adjust the partitioning to free up the space you want to use for OP with a tool like gparted first?