Samsung Light Scribe SH-223Q Drivers

Hi, I am a newbie here. I just finished building a computer and cannot get the DVD/CD drive to work. (SATA)

Vista Ultimate installed the win 32/cdrom.sys driver. I have run the firmware update several time with no results. I called Samsung and got a woman the was clueless.

Any help would be appreciated. :sad: TIA =) amaverick

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=amaverick;2222345]Hi, I am a newbie here. I just finished building a computer and cannot get the DVD/CD drive to work. (SATA)
[/QUOTE]could you please specify as exactly as possible what does not work?
A couple of questions:
Is the drive shown in device manager?
What Sata controller is used and how is it configured in Bios?
Can you boot from this drive?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2222350]Hi and Welcome!could you please specify as exactly as possible what does not work?
A couple of questions:
Is the drive shown in device manager?
What Sata controller is used and how is it configured in Bios?
Can you boot from this drive?

Michael[/QUOTE]

The lightscribe does not work. The drive is identified correctly by the OS (Vista Ultimate)

In the device manager the driver is Windows/system32/cdrom.sys.

I am using an Asus P6T motherboard with Marvell controllers I believe.

The options set in BIOS are IDE. I tried AHCI and the computer would not boot.

I put in the Vista disc and it booted right past that. =)
amaverick

I believe that you will find Windows does not include any native support for DVD drives. When you purchased the drive, it should have included a copy of Nero 8 Essentials. Installing this software and updating your drive firmware to the latest available should get you going.

[QUOTE=mdisante;2222480]I believe that you will find Windows does not include any native support for DVD drives. When you purchased the drive, it should have included a copy of Nero 8 Essentials. Installing this software and updating your drive firmware to the latest available should get you going.[/QUOTE]

I did all that and the drive works but not Lightscribe. Oh well, I changed the boot sequence and it is a bootable drive. It writes CDis and DVDs OK so I thnk I’m done. Something seems to be conflicting with Nero8 DVD installation. I have tried the patch several times, once in safe mode and it never installs.

Why doesn’t Vista have more options in Device Manager? I unchecked “Compatable Devices” one showed up.

Thanks all, :bow:
amaverick

Hi,[QUOTE=amaverick;2222471]The lightscribe does not work.[/quote]That’s all? Have you also installed the Lightscribe Host software, that came with the drive? In case, your drive came with a bundled Nero, then there should be also the LS software on the disc. Otherwise, get LS software from www.lightscribe.com (or www.nero.com)
You might also read the FAQ on www.lightscribe.com since this answers many questions about usage of the Lightscribe feature.

I am using an Asus P6T motherboard with Marvell controllers I believe.
Hopefully, you have not connected your drive to that controller :cool:

The options set in BIOS are IDE. I tried AHCI and the computer would not boot.
IDE mode is fine, since it’s the most compatible one.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2222634]Otherwise, get LS software from www.lightscribe.com (or www.nero.com)
You might also read the FAQ on www.lightscribe.com since this answers many questions about usage of the Lightscribe feature.[/QUOTE]Or one could actually go to the Samsung ODD site for software.

[QUOTE=Icy Mt.;2222781]Or one could actually go to the Samsung ODD site for software.[/QUOTE]
Yes, but the version from Samsung is much older than directly from lightscribe.com. And it’s harder to find :wink:

[QUOTE=Michael;2222634]Hi,That’s all? Have you also installed the Lightscribe Host software, that came with the drive? In case, your drive came with a bundled Nero, then there should be also the LS software on the disc. Otherwise, get LS software from www.lightscribe.com (or www.nero.com)
You might also read the FAQ on www.lightscribe.com since this answers many questions about usage of the Lightscribe feature.
Hopefully, you have not connected your drive to that controller :cool:
IDE mode is fine, since it’s the most compatible one.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I have done everything suggested at least five times and no it does not work as a Lightscribe Drive.

One option that I have not tried is to uninstall the Nero Essentials and LS then re-install to see if that works.

If someone has one working I would like to know the name of the drivers in Device manager. cdrom.sys does not cut it as far as this drive IMHO.

The download for the drive is www.x-drivers_ru_samsung_sh-s233q_Sb unless I have the wrong file. It’s the one I have run more times than I can count plus once in safe mode/network support with no results. I think there is a conflict somewhere but do not know where. I’ve also patched it with the latest.

I’m just out of ideas and time on this until Microsoft comes up with a driver or someone has a fix I have not tried. :slight_smile: =)
amaverick

[QUOTE=amaverick;2223331]
If someone has one working I would like to know the name of the drivers in Device manager. cdrom.sys does not cut it as far as this drive IMHO. [/quote]There are no other drivers. Period.

The download for the drive is some.strange.site.in.russia
No, it is not.
There are no special drivers for optical drives, and if you mean firmware (which is something different), then the only reliable source is www.samsungodd.com

I’m just out of ideas and time on this until Microsoft comes up with a driver or someone has a fix I have not tried.
Lightscribe is a 3rd party application, so don’t expect MS to provide a fix.
Try the Lightscribe host software and the Labeling Software from www.lightscribe.com

Michael

[QUOTE=Icy Mt.;2222781]Or one could actually go to the Samsung ODD site for software.[/QUOTE]

I did that also. In fact I now have a link to that in my programs. No good results to relate as far as the LS but if it takes 2 hours to burn one I’ll use a magic marker.

Thanks for the replies. :slight_smile: =) amaverick