Samsung HD321KJ and ESTOOL

vbimport

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the Samsung HD321KJ SATA drive I have and the ESTOOL. The drive is running in SATA IDE mode.

1. In my BIOS setup under UDMA selection for this drive, I can only select UDMA5 max. I was a little surprised seeing this, because for the drive in my laptop I can choose UDMA6 and even babies know that laptop drives are usually slower than desktop ones. Samsung have a FAQ on their site indicating that all their drives have UDMA100 (UDMA5) enabled by default and those who want UDMA6 need to use their ESTOOL to set it manually. I thought no problem, that’s why I don’t get UDMA6, so I got the util and booted the PC from a floppy to run it. I went to “SET MAX UDMA MODE” thinking this was what I needed. But no! Instead, I get a “SATA MODE” selection (150 or 300, which obviously mean SATA1 and SATA2). How do I set UDMA then?
  2. Should I care about UDMA mode of my drive? It’s a SATA2 capable drive, after all.

ESTOOL usage questions:

1. Why doesn’t “DRIVE DIAGNOSTIC” run (nothing happens)? I read somewhere it needs write access to the media ESTOOL runs from (my floppy was write protected). Is that correct?
  2. When selecting “LOW LEVEL FORMAT” under “LOW LEVEL FORMAT” I get “Log file is not exist.” error. What is the purpose of this submenu option?
  3. I get two main menu options which share some similarities but they also differ somewhat. These are “SET MAX ADDRESS” and “DCO SET MAX ADDRESS”. What is the purpose of each of them?
  4. All submenu options in “DCO SET MAX ADDRESS” work fine, however, I cannot get any of the “SET MAX ADDRESS” options to work. I always get “Script running is interrupted by user” error. Why? How do I avoid it?

Any answers/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

the UDMA mode of a Sata controller in IDE mode is only determined by the controller chipset. Intel chipsets are known to support nothing higher than UDMA-5.

The (max) IDE mode of a given HDD can only be adjusted for IDE (Pata) drives.

Diagnostic might want to create a logfile, so the floppy should not be write protected. No idea what went wrong with the “low level format” (which does nothing else but writing zeroes onto the disc). Perhaps it needs a writeable medium also.
The other options - I wouldn’t touch them unless I’d exactly know what I am doing there. :eek:

Michael

Thanks for replying, michael.

Intel chipsets are known to support nothing higher than UDMA-5.

This seems to make sense. I indeed have an Intel chipset (X48) while the laptop one is AMD.

the UDMA mode of a Sata controller in IDE mode is only determined by the controller chipset.

Would anything change if I switch to AHCI mode? Should I be able to select the UDMA6 or would UDMA5 limit remain?

[QUOTE=Misterer;2473553]Thanks for replying, michael.[/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

Would anything change if I switch to AHCI mode? Should I be able to select the UDMA6 or would UDMA5 limit remain?
The UDMA thingy is only applicable with IDE devices (including Sata controllers in IDE mode). Provided you have already the AHCI drivers installed, you can switch to AHCI. If the drivers are not installed yet, then you get a BSOD only.

I personally wouldn’t worry about that since UDMA-5 is fast enough for your HDD.

Michael