Samsung fixes 840 EVO SSD read performance degradation issue

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Samsung fixes 840 EVO SSD read performance degradation issue[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/10/myce-samsung-restoration-tool-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Samsung today released a fix for the performance degradation of its 840 EVO series SSDs. The fix and accompanying firmware upgrade ensure that read performance of old data doesn’t decrease, like one would expect.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/samsung-fixes-840-evo-ssd-read-performance-degradation-issue-73148](http://www.myce.com/news/samsung-fixes-840-evo-ssd-read-performance-degradation-issue-73148)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Seems like I have a few PCs to run this on …,

I ran the fix and firmware update on my 840 EVO 750GB SSD. IT all went without any issues, but it did take quite a long time to run the speed restore feature. I guess because its quite a large drive and had a lot of data on the drive.

I haven’t had a chance to test the read speeds yet.

I sincerely hope that it’s not just rewriting the existing data …

[QUOTE=debro;2739133]I sincerely hope that it’s not just rewriting the existing data …[/QUOTE]
Surely there has been an actual bug fix put into place; I doubt they would get away with having users run a tool every so often to restore READ performance; people already watched early SSD generations go by without automatic garbage collection.

Imagine the performance degradation that’d happen if they didn’t fix the problem but had the drive periodically rewrite all data of a certain age. :doh:

[QUOTE=Dee;2738945]I ran the fix and firmware update on my 840 EVO 750GB SSD. IT all went without any issues, but it did take quite a long time to run the speed restore feature. I guess because its quite a large drive and had a lot of data on the drive.

I haven’t had a chance to test the read speeds yet.[/QUOTE]
When you say it took a long time, can you elaborate? I have a 1TB EVO in my PC2700k rig, in the closet now waiting to be upgraded to a 4790K, are you saying if I wait to long I wont be able to use Acronis to do an image restore?

^ About 35 minutes for the whole process (all automated).
You can’t run the fix on a RAID array. So if you have a RAID array you’ll need to split the RAID before running the fix, run the fix on the single drives, and then rebuild the RAID array.

stage 1 updates the firmware.
stage 2 to 4 restores the speed.

No need to remove the data on a single drive before running the fix. Just make sure you have a backup of the data. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dee;2739152]^ About 35 minutes for the whole process (all automated).
You can’t run the fix on a RAID array. So if you have a RAID array you’ll need to split the RAID before running the fix, run the fix on the single drives, and then rebuild the RAID array.

stage 1 updates the firmware.
stage 2 to 4 restores the speed.

No need to remove the data on a single drive before running the fix. Just make sure you have a backup of the data. :)[/QUOTE]
But you can run it if its the OS drive right?

Ian over at CDRLabs ran it on his and posted about the upgrade too and he posted a graph of before and after performance and it sped it up to what it was new again and I think it was at least partly full.
Sounds like it’s a true fix update but you folks that have them will have to watch and let us know how it continues to work for you.
He also said it took a while and his was a 500 gig version.

@Alan
Mines is not an OS drive, but I can’t see why running the fix on an OS drive would cause a problem.

@Dartman
I will keep an eye on my 840 EVO.

Here is mine with around 230GB of data on the drive.

I have the 840 from around 2 years and didnt notice a perfirmance degradation