Samsung E2550 monte slider ( micro SD cards)

vbimport

Basically i bought a Samsung E2550 monte slider for my mother in law, i then noticed it had next to no memory so decided to buy a 2GB micro sd card.
It arrived and i put it into the phone to make sure it worked, the phone recognised it so i took the card out and used the SD adapter i got with the card and inserted it into my pc with the intention of adding music, pics etc to the card.
When inserted it tells me to format the card, i tried to but near the end it says “windows was unable to complete the format”. I then put the card back into the phone but now the card is not recognised by the phone either.
I then looked this problem up on google and tried a few different things including formatting via disk management etc.
I then thought it might be the card so i bought another one but from a different make.
Done exactly the same with that and exactly the same thing happened.

Ive now ran out of ideas and dont intend buying anymore cards,

Any advice, info etc on this matter will be much appreciated…cheers

Format the card using the phone and see if that works.
Additionally, it is not impossible that the card reader of either the phone or of your computer is faulty.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2557881]Format the card using the phone and see if that works.
Additionally, it is not impossible that the card reader of either the phone or of your computer is faulty.[/quote]

Sorry forgot to mention that I had tried formatting the card in the phone aswell and was told that the “format had been completed”.

I got a sd adapter with the card which enables it to be inserted into a card reader then into the pc (which you probably already knew :rolleyes:), therefore the adapter was brand new, but the card reader is quite old (Signalex if that helps), and its the first time ive used it in a while altho ive never had any bother with it before hand.
The thought of the reader being the cause of it went through my mind aswell but the only way to find out if it was the cause was to try a different card in it. The only other card i have is a normal sd card for my camera but i really dont want to take the chance of possibly breaking that aswell.

Assuming the reader is the fault?
What has it done to the cards do you think?
Will the cards possibly work in another reader considering when i put them back in the phone they were not recognised?

Thanks

Hi,[QUOTE=leroyj;2557904]Sorry forgot to mention that I had tried formatting the card in the phone aswell and was told that the “format had been completed”.[/quote]Good so far :slight_smile:

I got a sd adapter with the card which enables it to be inserted into a card reader then into the pc (which you probably already knew :rolleyes:), therefore the adapter was brand new, but the card reader is quite old (Signalex if that helps), and its the first time ive used it in a while altho ive never had any bother with it before hand.
If the card reader is really old, it might have problems with larger cards inserted. I remember the internal cardreader of my old Toshíba laptop that was not able to handle SD cards larger than 512 MB.

Perhaps it is not a bad idea to buy an inexpensive USB card reader (less than 10 EUR (or 10 USD) here in Germany) and see if things improve. Or before you span money, you may try the card (with adapter) in another computer - perhaps a computer shop will be of assistance (so they can sell you a new card reader :smiley: )

Assuming the reader is the fault?
What has it done to the cards do you think?
If the card reader is faulty or (even worse) does not properly support larger cards, anything, including corruption of the card’s filesystem can happen.

Will the cards possibly work in another reader considering when i put them back in the phone they were not recognised?

Well, we want to find out what is the problem source. The phone can at least format the card successfully, your computer can not, apparently. The phone should not complain if the card were properly formatted on a computer with a correctly working card reader.

Another idea: if your camera supports SD cards also - perhaps insert the card into the cam and see what happens…

Michael

If the card reader is really old, it might have problems with larger cards inserted. I remember the internal cardreader of my old Toshíba laptop that was not able to handle SD cards larger than 512 MB.

The card that i have for my camera is 4GB and it used to work alright with that.

Perhaps it is not a bad idea to buy an inexpensive USB card reader (less than 10 EUR (or 10 USD) here in Germany) and see if things improve. Or before you span money, you may try the card (with adapter) in another computer - perhaps a computer shop will be of assistance (so they can sell you a new card reader :smiley: )

I have my eye on one already for around £10, just waitng to see if i can work out the source of the problem first.

If the card reader is faulty or (even worse) does not properly support larger cards, anything, including corruption of the card’s filesystem can happen.

Do i assume if the cards filesystem is corrupted that the card is ready for the bin?
Everything points towards renewing my card reader by the sounds of it.

Another idea: if your camera supports SD cards also - perhaps insert the card into the cam and see what happens

My camera supports the normal size SD card not the micro size. I could try it but that would mean using the card reader again