Samsung DVD writer SH-S203

I have an internal DVD writer, Samsung SH-S203 (SATA), that I am looking to convert into an external so I can it on my Dell Inspiron laptop via USB (not even sure if this is possible). Any recommendations on enclosures that will help me do this?

Hi and Welcome!

since Samsung’s SH-S203 series drives is Sata connected, you need and external enclosure with a Sata->USB interface.
The “light” version is a plain adapter like this: (just as example) http://www.sharkoon.co.uk/html/produkte/externe_gehaeuse/drive_link/index.html
I own such an adapter, but I never tried my Sata ODD with that.

There is also another option: buy a eSata controller card (either Cardbus or Express Card - check the manual of your notebook, what of these two is supported) and connect the drive directly via Sata (eSata) to the controller card.

I have no idea, what is available in your local market, so I refuse recommending a certain product :wink:

Michael

Great! Thanks. Just one more question. What size of enclosure should I be looking at for this Samsung model? The 3.5 is too small, right?

Hi,[quote=heavysoul;2204768]Great! Thanks.[/quote]You’re Welcome! :slight_smile:

Just one more question. What size of enclosure should I be looking at for this Samsung model? The 3.5 is too small, right?
For optical drives, you need a 5.25" enclosure.

You might also check the price of a retail external Samsung 204 drive. Same hardware as 203 series. The price is often in the region of a naked external enclosure.

Michael