Samsung DVD-VR325

vbimport

Any ideas if this is a decent unit???

thanks.

labpup1,

I own a refurbished DVD-VR325 DVD-R Recorder/VCR and it works well for my purpose of backing up my old VHS, SuperVHS and Beta videotapes to DVD. This unit has Quasi SuperVHS playback so you can get SuperVHS tapes on to DVD without the need to have a working SuperVHS VCR for playback. The tuner works well with my Comcast Analog cable and the recordings look really good at the XP and SP (1hr and 2hr) modes. I have yet to try the longer recording modes, but I am willing to bet they are not very good for archiving content.

The unit is easy to use and comes with a nice remote control. Check around for refurbished units from a reputable vendor. Many have this unit at a great price now. I paid $199 just two months ago and I have seen it now for $139 at some retailers (refurbed).

Samsung has a newer version of this (I think it’s the DVD-VR335), and it seems to be a decent upgrade as it will record to all types or recordable media and has Divx playback, however it also costs a lot more.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know and I will see if I can answer them for you.

Take care!