Samsung DVD Sata

My SH-S223Q Sata will read disc, but won’t burn, because my computor says DVD not found. I have a Dell Dim 8300, I think the chip is 875P. I have tried both Roxio Creator 2009 and Nero 8 software. I hooked the Sata Data cable to Sata 0 on my MB. I have search for a week now for answer. I am ready to just get an IDE Burner. Any help will greatly be appreciated. I am a newbie here, so not sure if I am in the right place.

Hi and Welcome!

some questions to start with:[ul]
[li]is the drive shown in Windows Explorer?[/li][li]is the drive shown in device manager without error indicators?[/li][li]are your Sata controllers in Raid configuration (which is not a good idea for optical drives)?[/ul][/li]
Michael

Install the burntools that came WITH the burner, other OEM software will not work.

[QUOTE=chef;2223432]Install the burntools that came WITH the burner, other OEM software will not work.[/QUOTE]Not necessarily.

Hi Michael - Thank you for responding. Yes it show in Windows Explorer as DVD-Ram Drive; andin Device Manager it shows under DVD/CD-Rom drives a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q with no yellow or red explanation mark. Now for the Sata controllers in Raid, Hmmmm I am not sure where the Sata Controllers are?

Hi,[QUOTE=ridge;2223497]Hi Michael - Thank you for responding. Yes it show in Windows Explorer as DVD-Ram Drive; andin Device Manager it shows under DVD/CD-Rom drives a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q with no yellow or red explanation mark.[/quote]this is a good sign. :slight_smile:

Now for the Sata controllers in Raid, Hmmmm I am not sure where the Sata Controllers are?
The configuration of the Sata controllers can be checked and modified in Bios setup (see manual of your computer). Most compatible with optical drives is IDE. Please do only check, don’t change anything at the moment. Chosing the wrong option may render your computer unbootable.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2223502]Hi,this is a good sign. :slight_smile:
The configuration of the Sata controllers can be checked and modified in Bios setup (see manual of your computer). Most compatible with optical drives is IDE. Please do only check, don’t change anything at the moment. Chosing the wrong option may render your computer unbootable.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi - In my BIOS (ver A07) I the only thing I see that I think applies in this:
In Drive Configuration
Sata Primary Drive - CD-Rom Device
Sata Secondary Drive - Off
Primary Master Drive - Hard Drive
Primary Slave Drive - Hard Drive
Secondary Master Drive - Off
Secondary Slave Drive - Off
IDE Drive UDMA - On

I just want to remind us my issue is with a Sata DVD (Burner) Writer and not a Hard Drive
Other than the above in BIOS I did not see anything for Sata Controllers
Thank You Again, Patiently waiting and I know we have a huge time zone difference !

[QUOTE=ridge;2223604]Hi - In my BIOS (ver A07) I the only thing I see that I think applies in this:
In Drive Configuration
(…)[/quote]This is not the setting I had in mind. I own a Dell laptop, and there is a Bios setting that allows me to change the operation mode of the Sata controller from IDE to Sata.

I just want to remind us my issue is with a Sata DVD (Burner) Writer and not a Hard Drive
I know. But Sata controller settings affect all drives regardless of type.

Other than the above in BIOS I did not see anything for Sata Controllers
Is a Raid controller shown in device manager?

Thank You Again, Patiently waiting and I know we have a huge time zone difference !
You’re Welcome!
One idea to try: Boot Windows in Safe Mode and try burning a disc again, please. Perhaps there is some software related issue.

Michael

I checked Dell support website.
It seems as if there is a Promise FastTrak S150 TX2plus Sata Raid controller onboard which provides the Sata connectors. Unfortunately, the manual is not very clear about this. :frowning:

Could you please verify if there is such an entry in device manager (should be in the Raid Controllers section).
If so, then this is the bad news: Promise Raid controllers do not support optical drives properly (like all Raid enabled controllers)

Your options in that case are:[ul]
[li]return the drive and get a P-ATA drive[/li][li]buy a Sata Controller card with Silicon Image chipset and flash it to SataLink if the card comes as SataRaid card (like most do)[/ul][/li]But first check if there is such a Promise controller present.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2223681]This is not the setting I had in mind. I own a Dell laptop, and there is a Bios setting that allows me to change the operation mode of the Sata controller from IDE to Sata.
I know. But Sata controller settings affect all drives regardless of type.
Is a Raid controller shown in device manager?
You’re Welcome!
One idea to try: Boot Windows in Safe Mode and try burning a disc again, please. Perhaps there is some software related issue.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Ok - I looked in device manager again. This time under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and it says:
Intel ®82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller
Intel ®82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller
Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
The above was in there twice just like I typed it.
On the Raid Controller nothing was there.

Next I did the Safe Mode you ask for and got these results.
Roxio MyDVD would not run at all (something about my video card not supporting DirectX 9 and said I should look for an updated driver

Than again in safe mode I tried Nero 8 and it ran and tried to burn a disc only to tell me I need DVD-R disc and I had a DVD+R in there. This Samsung is suppose to burn the +R. It also told me I need DirectX 9.0b or higher. I do not know what DirectX ver I have and not sure where to look yet for it.

One other thing I did and it is in your next post: I downloaded and installed the Promise Raid driver, but it could not find my drive so I removed it.

So at this point I am still open to upgrading video card if I need to, (Any Recommendations on a video card for this Dell Dim 8300 ?) Buying a P-ATA Burner ( Is this IDE??)

I also am capable of editing the registry if we have to.
Wow after all this I got to sleep. Saturday going to be busy for me, So I may not be back till late Sat or Sunday morning.

Again Thank You, and I will try whatever you want me to here.

What can you find under “SCSI and RAID Controllers” in the devicemanager?

[QUOTE=chef;2224073]What can you find under “SCSI and RAID Controllers” in the devicemanager?[/QUOTE]

There is no listing in device manager for SCSI or Raid Controllers

[QUOTE=ridge;2224115]There is no listing in device manager for SCSI or Raid Controllers[/QUOTE]Okay. Then there is no Promise Controller aboard.
Then the Sata ports are “intel powered”, and this isn’t a bad thing since Intel Sata has a reputation to work.
Maybe some Bios bug or restriction? No idea.

Could you perhaps change these Bios entries

From Off to On, Enabled, Auto or similar?

If you had a second optical drive installed, then I would have recommended to run a Live Linux CD (Ubuntu or Kubuntu for example) to test your drive, since there is a CD/DVD burning software included.

Additionally, see if you can try the drive in another computer.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2224333]Okay. Then there is no Promise Controller aboard.
Then the Sata ports are “intel powered”, and this isn’t a bad thing since Intel Sata has a reputation to work.
Maybe some Bios bug or restriction? No idea.

Could you perhaps change these Bios entries

From Off to On, Enabled, Auto or similar?

If you had a second optical drive installed, then I would have recommended to run a Live Linux CD (Ubuntu or Kubuntu for example) to test your drive, since there is a CD/DVD burning software included.

Additionally, see if you can try the drive in another computer.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi Again - I went to my BIOS and tried this:
Sata Secondary Drive - On
Secondary Master Drive - On
Secondary Slave Drive - On
The Result was:
Sata Secondary Drive O not found
Secondary Drive O not found
Secondary Drive 1 not found
So I just turned these 3 back to off.

One thing I just realized is my other IDE Drive is not working either since I added this Samsung Sata Drive. The other drive is a Nec Corporation, Model-ND-2100A Mar2004, DVD +R/RW and CD-R/RW Drive and this does not show up in Device Manager.
I appreciate all the help you are giving me !!!

Hi,[QUOTE=ridge;2225033]Hi Again - I went to my BIOS and tried this:
Sata Secondary Drive - On
Secondary Master Drive - On
Secondary Slave Drive - On
The Result was:
Sata Secondary Drive O not found
Secondary Drive O not found
Secondary Drive 1 not found
So I just turned these 3 back to off.[/quote]Souldn’t be a problem to have these set to “on” or even better “auto” (if available)

One thing I just realized is my other IDE Drive is not working either since I added this Samsung Sata Drive.
This is interesting.
So we need some additional checks:

Check #1:
Disconnect the Samsung drive. Does the NEC show up again? Bios should report this as Secondary Master normally, but you may need to set Secondary Master to “on” again.

Check #2:
Disconnect the NEC. What happens with the Samsung now?

Check #3:
Leave the NEC connected, and connect the Samsung to the other Sata port.

Michael

Hi - I turned all the drives back on again in Bios and left them there at this point. Than I shutdown, open up tower. Pull both drives out. Tried a different ribbon cable for the NEC Drive to no avail. Looking over the NEC Drive I notice the jumper was set to Slave. Don’t ask me why I did the following, as I don’t know, But I Changed the jumper to csel. Hook it back up with old ribbon etc and it works fine now!
Now back to the Sata Drive. I did all 3 steps you asked. I tried it without the NEC installed and also tried the other Sata Port. I got nowheres with it. I did some research on the Roxio site and found this page: http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/000008GN&PARAMS= (Not sure if I am allowed to post links in here)(If not please let me know and I won’t do it anymore) I did everything that this page ask for. The part that told me to update the PXEngine must have been the trick. (File: called pxengine4_10_28a.exe). (Says the PX Engine improves compartibility with newer burners on the market. ) My sata burner is now burning DVD’s Not to sure if I like Roxio as it is hard to make multible copies of a DVD. You have to compose each DVD burn from start. Well anyways I think I will be ok for now.
I must Thank you for your kind Patience & Help you have given me !
I am sure I will be back once I get my Grand Daughters Annual DVD done !

Hi,QUOTE=ridge;2226237Looking over the NEC Drive I notice the jumper was set to Slave. Don’t ask me why I did the following, as I don’t know, But I Changed the jumper to csel. Hook it back up with old ribbon etc and it works fine now![/quote]Nice :slight_smile: Having a drive set as Slave without a Master on the same cable is a source for trouble. Haven’t thought about that since I assumed, the drive worked before.

Now back to the Sata Drive. (…)
I did some research on the Roxio site and found this page: http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/000008GN&PARAMS= (Not sure if I am allowed to post links in here)
No problem to post links to manufacturer support websites.:slight_smile:

The part that told me to update the PXEngine must have been the trick.
Hm. And what about Nero? That should normally work without Roxio’s PXengine driver. Maybe the older version had some bad influence on your system :confused:

My sata burner is now burning DVD’s
Very nice :slight_smile:

Not to sure if I like Roxio as it is hard to make multible copies of a DVD. You have to compose each DVD burn from start. Well anyways I think I will be ok for now.
Can you select (ISO) image file as output in Roxio software? If so, then burn as much copies as you like with the free ImgBurn (highly recommended here in the forums).

I must Thank you for your kind Patience & Help you have given me !
I am sure I will be back once I get my Grand Daughters Annual DVD done !
You’re very Welcome :slight_smile:

cheers,
Michael

Can you select (ISO) image file as output in Roxio software? If so, then burn as much copies as you like with the free ImgBurn (highly recommended here in the forums).

Yes Roxio will let me select ISO Image file. I tried it and ask it to confirm burn and 2 times it said it did not match the original. Where can I get ImgBurn? As far as Nero goes I dumped it for now, but I am sure I will try it again, It seem to have a better LightScribe than Roxio.
Again you are great, enjoy what you do. I’d put a big smile here for you but couldn’t figure that out !
Ridge aka Jim

[QUOTE=ridge;2226779]Can you select (ISO) image file as output in Roxio software? If so, then burn as much copies as you like with the free ImgBurn (highly recommended here in the forums).

Yes Roxio will let me select ISO Image file. I tried it and ask it to confirm burn and 2 times it said it did not match the original. Where can I get ImgBurn? As far as Nero goes I dumped it for now, but I am sure I will try it again, It seem to have a better LightScribe than Roxio.
Again you are great, enjoy what you do. I’d put a big smile here for you but couldn’t figure that out !
Ridge aka Jim

Hi Jim,[QUOTE=ridge;2226781]
Yes Roxio will let me select ISO Image file. I tried it and ask it to confirm burn and 2 times it said it did not match the original. Where can I get ImgBurn?[/quote]I’d just ignore the Roxio message at the moment. Imgburn website: www.imgburn.com

Again you are great, enjoy what you do.
I’d put a big smile here for you but couldn’t figure that out !

You don’t see the the smilies box on the right side of the editor? Hm? Then type them manually :wink:
–> http://club.cdfreaks.com/misc.php?do=showsmilies

cheers,
Michael