Samsung DVD-rom sd-616e malfunction

My Drive came with my DELL computer. when I insert a disk it sounds like it just starts spinning really quickly and it does not rad any disks (DVD or CD). How can I correct this problem?

Tst the drive with bootable media or in another computer, it could be damaged beyond repair.

I have (or had) the same driver, Samsung DVD_ROM SD-616E, on my Dell computer and I am convinced mine is either no longer there or damaged beyond repair. What do I do now? Is there a place to buy and download a new one or what is my next step to fixing my CD burner?

Hi,

could you please describe your problem more detailled?
Also, have a look into the troubleshooting articles. Links can be found in the FAQ (see my sig).

Michael

Hi Michael and ty for your time and help with this but I do not think you can help me. I have a ‘Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop’ computer and I used to be able to burn CDs with it but for some reason I can’t any more. I was wondering if anybody on this site knew where (or if) I can download a new CD burner program. (I did check out the FAQ links but I do not know enough about CD burners to know where to look.)

Hi,

Let’s see :wink:

I have a ‘Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop’ computer and I used to be able to burn CDs with it but for some reason I can’t any more.
This might be a hardware or a software issue. This has to be sorted out at first. What exactly goes wrong?
I was wondering if anybody on this site knew where (or if) I can download a new CD burner program.
ImgBurn or CDburner XP Pro are both free CD/DVD writing softwares.
(I did check out the FAQ links but I do not know enough about CD burners to know where to look.)
The links in the FAQ provide information to help narrowing down issues with the drive, controller etc.

Michael

my drive does’nt work at all even to read a cd or dvd. do you think that the hardware is just damaged beyond repair? would downloading firmware help perhaps?

[QUOTE=chropeh;1936294]my drive does’nt work at all even to read a cd or dvd. do you think that the hardware is just damaged beyond repair? would downloading firmware help perhaps?[/QUOTE]

Did you take the advice chef offered you back in May?

I don’t have access to another computer and I don’t know what “bootable media” means

Hi,[QUOTE=chropeh;1937114] I don’t know what “bootable media” means[/QUOTE]A CD or DVD containing an operating system to boot from. Examples: Knoppix or Kanotix (Linux Live CDs), Ultimate Boot CD, or some Windows install disc. The motherboard BIOS has to be set to “Boot from CD first” to start from a bootable CD or DVD.

Michael

Excuse me for not being so tech-knowledgeable. Do you mean that I should put in a cd that came with my Dell computer? if so which one, and what should I do when I put it in? (BTW this drive was a replacement drive for another drive that came with the computer that wasn’t working)

Hi,[QUOTE=chropeh;1938084]Excuse me for not being so tech-knowledgeable. Do you mean that I should put in a cd that came with my Dell computer? if so which one, and what should I do when I put it in?[/quote]I have no idea what disc would be the correct one. Your manual should help.

I would recommend a Linux Live CD, since I don’t know what happens after booting from a Dell Recovery disc.

You need a friend with broadband internet and a working CD burner.
Get the CD .ISO image from one of these:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
http://www.kanotix.com/changelang-eng.html
http://damnsmalllinux.org/
Burn the image file onto CD using ImgBurn preferrably.

Then insert that disc into your drive and reboot. Watch the screen and follow the instructions given there.
If Windows is booted again, then probably the boot order is not adjusted to boot from CD at first. Please refer to your manual how to change that.

Michael