Samsung DVD-HR735 cannot play DVD but can play CD

vbimport

I have a Samsung DVD-HR735. It was bought in December 2006. Initially, we had not noticed any problems, using it to record TV shows on HD as well as play DVD and CD including DivX movies.

Only more lately, we have noticed some DVDs would not be recognise but can sometimes work if reinserted. Increasingly the frequency of rejection has gotten worse till it is absolute now. Device is now unable to read or play any DVD (either original movies or blank DVDs of various brands) and after trying to read it for a long time, it will eject it saying unable to read.

Strangely, it still reads and plays CD (meaning the lens is working? have also cleaned it using CD cleaner to no effect). Other features like Hard Disk and hard disk recording and playback still works. We are trying to save our recorded shows on to DVD at least even if we have to get a new system!

Is it due to the weight of the DVD compared to CD? I ask this because I had a friend whom had a player which would play certain brand DVD but not others and he said it was due to different weights?

Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

I feel your pain… I’ve got the same problem with my unit…

I’m trying a firmware update… just need the firmware

thanks for reply. do you have the exact same model? am curious if this is a known fault with this Samsung model?

yes I have the same problem, its over the warranty period, so am not able to get it fixed, had quote of minimum £130. Wondered if this is a common fault, and might be able to sue for refund???
Does anyone have a result on this issue??
terry

[QUOTE=Chirurgie;2122779]thanks for reply. do you have the exact same model? am curious if this is a known fault with this Samsung model?[/QUOTE]

terryob
New on Forum

Add as Friend Re: Samsung DVD-HR735 cannot play DVD but can play CD

yes I have the same problem, its over the warranty period, so am not able to get it fixed, had quote of minimum £130. Wondered if this is a common fault, and might be able to sue for refund???
terry

[QUOTE=PawnStar;2122580]I feel your pain… I’ve got the same problem with my unit…

I’m trying a firmware update… just need the firmware[/QUOTE]

terryob
New on Forum

Add as Friend Re: Samsung DVD-HR735 cannot play DVD but can play CD

terry

Sadly I had been advised it is a DVD reader problem and not worth fixing as a new DVD would cost similiar. I went for a new LG model from Amazon and have no regrets since. SUperb model which has USB port too. Will stay away from Samsung DVD players in future. (I have a Samsung 40" TV and that’s been fine)

hope i’m not too late to help you. i had the same problem with my samsung ht-thx25. cds would play fine just dvds had a problem. i opened it up and used a damp cotton bud to clean the lens then it worked just fine. check and see if there is dust on your tray when open, if there is then its just dust on your lens.

[QUOTE=Chirurgie;2150824]Sadly I had been advised it is a DVD reader problem and not worth fixing as a new DVD would cost similiar. I went for a new LG model from Amazon and have no regrets since. SUperb model which has USB port too. Will stay away from Samsung DVD players in future. (I have a Samsung 40" TV and that’s been fine)[/QUOTE]

if you still have it then just give it a try. nothing to lose. (un-plugged of course)