Samsung DVD-DR320 does not play dvd

vbimport

Hi,

I try to search the forum and can not find something similar. I hope post this will find the answer that I am looking for.

This is the question:
I have used clonedvd2 and made a copy. The copy will not play on this make and model of DVD player/recorder. It will play on other dvd player.

Any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Could be that the Samsung is a bit picky?

Can you load the “problem” disc into DVDIdentifier, and post the media ID?

Are you using -R or +R? Some players can be picky about +R unless it’s bitset to -ROM. Letting us know your burner would help to determine if it supports bitsetting.

Just a few suggestions, hope one of them helps! :slight_smile:

I’ve seen Samsung’s before that were put off by DVD+R unless it was bitset to -ROM. I checked out VideoHelp and they have no record of that model, are you sure DR320 is correct?

tehGrue they don’t have my philips either. I think they only get info from people who sub,it it and so they don’t have all the models listed.

Thank you for the reply.

I am using DVD-R from Memorex 8x, 4.7 GB, 120 mins.

This is what I have gathered from the DVD ID.

Manufactuer Name: CMC Magnet Corp.
Manufactuer ID: CMC MAG. AE1

Status

[19:06:25] DVD Identifier V4.3.0
[19:06:25] Initializing Drive Interface [Auto-Select ASPI/SPTI]
[19:06:25] SPTI Drive Interface Successfully Initialized
[19:06:26] 1 Supported Drive Found (Out Of 2 Available Drives)
[19:06:26] Manufacturer Database [18-FEB-06@660$88] Loaded From File : (@660$88) Entries Found
[19:06:41] This Version Of ‘DVD Identifier’ Is Up-To-Date
[19:06:41] The Manufacturer Database Is Up-To-Date
[19:07:31] DVD-R/-RW Medium Detected. Starting Identification…
[19:07:31] ** Initiating LPP Retrieval
[19:07:31] LPP Read Completed Without Errors
[19:07:31] Disc Identification Completed Successfully

Drive Capabilities on This Disc

** INFO : Drive = PHILIPS DVD±RW DVD8631 - [FW 9D03] - [ATAPI]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-RW
** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AE1]
** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 3324 kBps ( 2.40x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
Descriptor #1 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 3324 kBps ( 2.40x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

Media Code Block

** INFO : Hex Dump Of ‘Media Code’-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding ‘Media Code’-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 0Eh - Pre-Recorded Information In Lead-In
0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00 02 54 0d 0e 88 9a 80 00 .@…R…T…
0010 : 03 43 4d 43 20 4d 41 00 04 47 2e 20 41 45 31 00 .CMC MA…G. AE1.
0020 : 05 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 06 09 0d 11 87 78 90 00 …x…
0030 : 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 08 05 15 0d 0f 0a 09 00 …
0040 : 09 97 07 0f 0b 7c 88 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 10 00 …|…
0050 : 0b 05 1b 13 a8 89 65 00 0c b6 89 88 80 00 00 00 …e…
0060 : 0d 00 00 d0 00 00 00 00 00 00 …

** INFO : Hex Dump Of ‘Control Data Zone’-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding ‘CDZ’-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 10h - Physical Format Information Of Control Data Zone
0000 : 25 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 24 2f 4e 00 00 00 00 %…$/N…

Memorex isn’t the best media, so it’s unsurprising that it will play on one player, and not on another.

I notice they’re -Rs…have you tried using +R and bitsetting to -ROM? This is out of my league, never had to do it, but hopefully someone will give you a hand should you choose to go that route. :slight_smile:

Also, try looking up your player on www.videohelp.com - it might tell you how picky the player is, if it’s listed.

Arachne’s advice is right on the mark, as usual. Definitely ditch the memorex…wholly unreliable, multiple manufacturers, no quality control, etc. You may get lucky, but you will definitely get unlucky, as well.

I also believe samsung’s are picky. Of the 5 standalones in my family, it’s the most temperamental re: media. I also returned a second samsung because it was far too picky. My own experience: have had good luck with some older Ricoh +R and +RW (both bitset and not), but I’ve never had a problem with Taiyo Yuden -R (TYG02 and TYG03) or with TY +R (Yuden000 T02, when bitset to -ROM), however, I have always bitset the TYs.

Took a look at the closest match to your player/recorder…mixed reviews and temperamental re: media, for sure.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for all your input.

I was wondering if there setting in clonedvd2 or Samsung DVD player/recorder that will help to read the dvd.

I know the memorex media is not the best. But the price is right.

The media (in this case, memorex) is readable by my two other DVD player (magnavox and sony).

The funny thing is that the media (in this case, memorex) recorded by the Samsung DVD player/recorder is palyable by others.

If there is not setting changes that will help. I want to thank you for all your replies.

Oh, the model is DVD-VR320 not DVD-DR320. My typo.

It’s not that some player will play almost any media thrown at them. For example I have yet to have any media including the cheapest rejected by my Philips player, one of my friends rejects all +R even when booktyped ROM and of the -Rs refuses to play the dirt cheap ones.

Therefore it could be the media and the only way to rule that out is to buy different media to test it out. In many places you can buy single media in jewel cases it might be an idea to try a couple to see. It does not matter if the price is right on the media as it is not much use if you are having it rejected even by one player.

I agree with Jay, buy a few singles in jewel cases to see what the Sammy likes - there are two Philips players in my family, which will play absolutely anything, but we also have an old LG which, so far, will not play any kind of backed up disc, apart from a really crappy (Infosmart, I think) +R disc.

There is another question.

I was wondering if the DVD player/recorder can not play the compressed DVD. Since the original DVD is dual layer and clonedvd2 had to be compressed into single layer.

Any idea???

Never heard of that causing a problem as the relevant vob files are there and that’s what DVD players need.

Here’s what shows up with a search of that model: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=DVD-VR320&Search=Search&dvdportable=&dvdchanger=&dvdtv=&chipset=&orderby=Name&hits=25&Submit2=Search

If you read the comments as someone else was having problems different media has been suggested there.

That shouldn’t cause a problem. I backup my stuff with CloneDVD2 and DVD Shrink, and I never had a problem.

See Jay’s reply above…

Ok, I have read the note from the DVD link couple of times. No where it mentioned that it will play a clonedvd copy cd on the Samsung DVD Player/Recorder in question. All it says, the Samsung DVD Player/Recorder will record and the recorded DVD will play on all other machines (other DVD player or PC).

So, that really did not answer my question. I will try a better quality DVD media (it probably will be waste of my money) to see if the DVD created from clonedvd2 on my PC will play on the Samsung DVD Player/Recorder.

Playing a disc, compressed with CloneDVD2, should not pose a problem.

I use CloneDVD2 to backup my discs all the time lately, and provided I use good media, I know there will be no problem (mind you, in my case, my player will play any media - it’s not picky).

Thank you! Arachne for your reply. I have never questioned clonedvd2’s ability to copy DVD. In fact, I have use clonedvd2 to backup all my DVD. The questioned is center on the Samsung unit. I have 2 other DVD players that played all my clonedvd’s backup DVDs.

So, the thing that I need to try to use a better media to backup and try to play on the Samsung unit.

If that still does not work, I guess I will try to avoid buying Samsung unit before trying it.

Gotcha :)…all I can say, is your other 2 players are probably not that picky, and the Samsung definitely is.

It’ll be trial and error, I’m afraid, in finding out what media it likes best!

:slight_smile: