Samsung DVD burner installation(20x)

hello… i am using a pentium 3 machine. It has IDE cabels and ports.

i have purchased recently a DVD writer of speed 20x ( samsung) which has SATA cable. So i have installed a SATA PCI card. Now, the cable connections are ok but when i am booting the machine …its showing " primary master HDD …disabled" . Now what do i do?

Do SATA Drives have jumpers. NOthing is mentioned about jumpers on the sticker pasted on the DVD writer.

Hi and Welcome!

What card have you installed? This information might be important since not all SATA PCI cards support optical drives properly.
Also, many PIII systems won’t provide enough data rate to feed a 20x burner. If you are ok with 8x or 12x, then this shouldn’t be a problem.

Now, the cable connections are ok but when i am booting the machine …its showing " primary master HDD …disabled" . Now what do i do?
Do you only get the message, or aren’t you able to boot your system? Please check your BIOS settings concerning Boot Priority. Your controller card connected drives (should be shown as SCSI) should be the last entry or even removed.

Do SATA Drives have jumpers.
NO.

Michael

my PC isnot booting at all… it is only giving the msg…" promary master HDD—Disabled " the last line is coming … BOOt from CD—none.
i have installed a standard SATA PCI card… having two SATA ports…

i have dual OS --linux and windows XP (SP2)… by default it wl take linux…

Check your boot priority in BIOS. Often, the addition of a new card will change boot priority. If the new card has a bootable BIOS, it may take priority over the main board. It’s been a while since I messed with a P-III board.

Hi,

Then check your BIOS settings as already recommended. Also check the system requirements (PCI standards that have to be met) of your card.

i have installed a standard SATA PCI card… having two SATA ports…
There is no such thing as a standard PCI SATA card. Basic information that is needed, is chipset and operating mode (RAID or non-RAID) of the card.

Michael
P.S.: using bold type is absolutely not needed - and harder to read.