Samsung DVD Burner doesn't play DVD

We’ve just bought a new PC which has a Samsung TSST SH-S182F dual layer DVD writer in it.

On trying things out, we put a DVD into the drive and on the autorun box that comes up, the only play option is Windows Media Player. Click on that and get an error message saying there is no DVD decoder installed. Spoke with the folks from whom we bought the PC and their explanation is that we have to buy some software to make it work as the DVD drive doesn’t come with any. I find that really odd as I’ve never before encountered a drive that doesn’t come with at least some minimum software. I asked if I have to buy software to burn CDs and DVDs as well and the answer I got was “yes”.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is it normal for a piece of hardware not to come with the software to make it work?

I’d really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Some PCs come with a bit of software, but some don’t. A PC I bought 6 years ago came with nothing software-wise, but the last one I purchased came with Nero 7 Essentials.

I wouldn’t bother trying to play your DVDs with Media Player - instead I’d download the free VLC player.

You’ll need something like Nero or Roxio to burn your CDs and DVDs (there are free alternatives to those too though).

Hope that helps a bit :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info, Arachne. I’ll download VLC and look for some burner software.

Appreciate your quick response.
Cheers