Samsung Develops USB-powered LCD PC Monitor

vbimport

Samsung Electronics Co Ltd developed a 18.5-inch LCD display whose power consumption is as low as 6.3W and exhibited it at SID 2010.

At the company’s booth, the display was connected to a PC via a USB2.0 cable and powered only by the PC.

“We are planning to start volume production of the LCD display for desktop PCs in 2011,” Samsung said.

The low power consumption was realized by improving the transmittance of the panel and the luminance efficiency of the backlight. The transmittance of the panel, which is a TN-mode panel, is about 7%. But the company declined to comment on the specific technologies used to improve the transmittance.

The display is equipped with an edge-lit type backlight unit that uses LEDs as its light source. The LEDs have a higher efficiency than those used for existing LCD monitors. However, their lifetime is 30,000 hours, which is 20,000 hours shorter than that of the existing LCD monitors’ LEDs.

The pixel count, luminance and contrast ratio of the new LCD display are 1,366 x 768, 250cd/m2 and 1,000:1, respectively.

Link: http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20100528/183038/

:cool::cool:

I was of the understanding that USB was 5V @ max 1A = 5W …

30,000hrs is amazingly long-life regardless … the device will be obsolete before the LED’s die … what about the actual light output? And sustained light output over it’s lifetime?

[QUOTE=debro;2523523]I was of the understanding that USB was 5V @ max 1A = 5W …[/quote]:disagree: Spec says 500 mA @5V = 2.5 W.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2523604]:disagree: Spec says 500 mA @5V = 2.5 W.

Michael[/QUOTE]
Apologies, I’ve been working with too many 2.5" portable HDD’s with extra power USB power connectors.

So to be USB powered … this monitor requires AT LEAST 3x USB connections, and possibly more?

It’s a good thing motherboards come with upto 14x USB2 ports, eh?
And it seems a bit of stretch that … if you can power a PC … you can’t buy a $2 double adapter to supply the monitor … or spend $10 you get a Y cable.

I have a 3yr old 20" dell monitor rated at 34W (Average) sitting beside me … so getting an 18.5" down to 7.5W (minimum) is really just a bit of natural progression, given that LED’s now get about 4-6x the light compared to 2yrs ago, when they started installing them, and can now be used in lieu of cold cathode fluorescents.

I’m actually not particularly impressed.
Seems like a gimmick.