Samsung combo drives and other components

vbimport

I’m engaged in a new build and am solid on Samsung SH-S203B.
Question 1: Need help finding vendors who sell these SATA combo drives in a retail box with software, cable, etc. Can’t find:(.
Question 2: Does the software that comes with these drives WORK? I’ve heard pros and cons.
Question 3: Do these units install smoothly or are users having problems with drivers?
Question 4: I need two internal SATA hard drives (no RAID for now) but cannot find vendors that sell them in a retail box. All I see is OEM. Can any one help with that frustration?

My system (so far): Antec case (mid tower) with 3 fans; DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS mobo; Intel Core Duo E8400 Wolfdale LGA775 runs at 3.0GHz.
Have yet to decide on RAM that works best with this board (want 4 gigs); two SATA Internal Hard Drives (no RAID); video card and sound card. Still taking suggestions.
Speakers: Cambridge Soundworks THX.
Usage: I enjoy games such as Flight Simulator but am not a gamer. Am more into video and music so I require a decent video card and a sound card capable of at least 5.1 Dolby.
Appreciate any help I can get.

Hi and Welcome![quote=classicride72;2055938]
Question 1: Need help finding vendors who sell these SATA combo drives in a retail box with software, cable, etc. Can’t find:(.[/quote]Those drives are mostly sold as bulk, but there should also be retail versions available. Best source might be a brick-n-mortar store. Please note, that the 203B is phased out, so some vendors send out the 203D, which is a different drive (with similar specs)

Question 2: Does the software that comes with these drives WORK? I’ve heard pros and cons.
Retail Samsung drives come with an OEM version of Nero (don’t know if they already ship Nero 8 OEM). After installation, get the latest update from nero.com, and you should be fine, normally.

Question 3: Do these units install smoothly or are users having problems with drivers?
There are some incompatibilities of certain Sata controllers with Sata optical drives. (Check the FAQ for details, please.) Since you plan an Intel based system, there shouldn’t be a problem if you configure the Sata controller as IDE.

Question 4: I need two internal SATA hard drives (no RAID for now) but cannot find vendors that sell them in a retail box. All I see is OEM. Can any one help with that frustration?
Also, check local stores. Retail HDDs are much more expensive than the bulk ones, the extra price for a box, a cable and some screws is not justified.

Additionally, you might check our bargain basement forum for shopping advice.

Michael

Thanks for your reply. So far I’ve found the hard drives I wanted but still no luck with the retail box version of the Samsung SH-S203B dvd/cd burner - only OEM versions on the net. Also have questions about RAM but should probably begin a new thread for that.