Samsung combo drive is gone!

vbimport

I have a Dell Optiplex 260 with xp pro. I have a Samsung dvd combo drive SM-332B. I did the firmware upgrade right from samsungs site, and when I rebooted, I get an error in post and a message that the drive is missing. When I hit f1 to continue and after logging on to windows, the drive is nowhere to be found. not in my computer, or in device manager. When I try to do the upgrade again, it tells me drive not found. even the eject button on the drive it self doesn’t work. Any suggestions anyone?

I have a Dell Dimension 4500 with a SM-332B combo drive. Like you, I upgraded the firmware with the T406 form the samsung website. Now, the combo drive is not recognized by Windows XP and the eject button also doesn’t work just like you. After opening the CPU case, I saw on the drive label that it was actually a SM-332B/DWR (dell version) firmware T408. I managed to get the right updated Dell SM-332B firmware E410 from http://etna.rpc1.org/samsung/ but it is not compatible with MTKflash. I was wondering if there was a flasher for samsung SM-332B drives. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Try following, it helped me with my SN-324:

Open “regedit”

Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values by:

a) Expand the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it.
b) Expand the “SYSTEM” Key
c) Expand the “CurrentControlSet” Key
d) Expand the “Control” Key
e) Expand the “Class” Key
f) Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

g) High light this key by left clicking once on it

h) On the right hand side you are looking for “Upperfilters” and “Lowerfilters”, once you find these please delete them by high lighting (left clicking on them once) and then right clicking on them and choosing “delete”

1. Restart your computer.

2. Your CD-ROM should be back.

This solution was found on the DELL Forum.