Samsung cd-rom sc-148a

This drive is giving me fits…
Reads software disks for say XP,
reads CD’s
Put in a game and it doesn’t see it…
Game works in the other 3 cd-roms in the house, just not this one…
Going to the properties of the cd-rom it says that it has no free space even when there’s no disk in it…
I’ve tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver, windows says there’s no problem with it even when it isn’t working…
Updated the drive, I installed the game thru a network connection, but it needs the disk to run…
I have been trying to back door this for 2 days and I have had just about enough…
When I go thru CMD and the drive is empty it says the device isn’t ready, when I put the disk in it says the device isn’t ready…
The computer was unpluged for a year, and unused for almost 3 years, I’ve gone thru all the windows updates, we’re now on sp3 (which has caused a different problem on all the computers here, already fixed them) I thought perhaps this was an sp3 issue, but it seems no…
ANY ONE ABLE TO HELP???
Dell computer, samsung cd-rom sc-148a internal drive, this just doesn’t make any sense to me…:sad:

Welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile:

You said the game works in other CD drives, but have you tried those other drives in that particular computer to see if it’s the hardware? Or have you physically taken the Samsung out and tried it + the game in another computer?

Also, what game is it? [There may be some known copy protection of some sort that the Samsung drive fails to handle].

thank you kindly for the welcome!
I just tried the game. I have an exact duplicate of the computer and the drive and it worked fine when I tried it…
I’m not very hardware savvy, so I’m a little leary about taking the thing apart and replacing with an older cd-rom we have here, I’m also not sure it will work properly because it’s 8-10 years old…
The game is gta 4 for windows…
I looked up some of the issues with the game and could not confirm the same issue, so thought I’d give this a go…
My son has to have his own computer so if he gets another worm he doesn’t take down the personal and work computers in the house…
I appreciate your help!

Hmm…it doesn’t seem GTA4 was released on CD, but on DVD. Might this be the case for your game disc?

You said you have an exact duplicate of the computer that doesn’t like the disc, including the exact same drive model. Is all that true; same computer model, with the exact same CD-ROM model?

Just trying to make sure I cover my bases. :slight_smile:

Even different device drivers can make a huge DIFFERENCE.