Samsung blu-ray players & MKVs

I have two Samsung Blu-ray players, a BD-P3600 and a BD-E5900. Neither of these players will recognize chapters in an MKV file nor can you fast forward or reverse the video. Does anyone know of a hack or a workaround to allow at least chapter recognition for an MKV file? Yes, my MKV files have chapters.

IF there isn’t a hack or other workaround does anyone know how to increase the pause time so I could take a break in a long video without the player requiring me to start playing the image over from the very beginning?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Your players may not like two new features added into mkvmerge 5.90 and later editions. You might have to remux them with 5.80.

The two enhancements were CueDuration and CueRelativePosition, which were supposed to make navigation easier, but some people have reported problems with it.

You could also try MKV Chapterizer on the files.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2707905]Your players may not like two new features added into mkvmerge 5.90 and later editions. You might have to remux them with 5.80.

The two enhancements were CueDuration and CueRelativePosition, which were supposed to make navigation easier, but some people have reported problems with it.

You could also try MKV Chapterizer on the files.[/QUOTE]

Do you think remuxing them would really allow the Samsung players to recognize the chapters? I have read several threads on the net that simply say the Samsung players cannot recognize chapters in an MKV file.

I tried MKV Chapterizer and it states that my MKV file already has chapters.

It is certainly possible that the Samsung players won’t recognize chapters in an mkv file.

I just thought these two ideas were worth a shot.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2707905]Your players may not like two new features added into mkvmerge 5.90 and later editions. You might have to remux them with 5.80. [/QUOTE] If that’s the problem it’s not necessary to go back to an earlier version of mkvmerge - you can instead add some options to the command-line as described here:

https://trac.bunkus.org/wiki/FAQ%3AImprovingPlaybackCompatibilityWithPlayers#Notusingcertainnewelementsinthecueswith--engageno_cue_durationand--engageno_cue_relative_position

BTW I know nothing about those Samsung Blu-ray players.

^Good find Drage. I hadn’t seen those options.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2707908]It is certainly possible that the Samsung players won’t recognize chapters in an mkv file.

I just thought these two ideas were worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

There must be a way to increase the time that the players are allowed to be held in Pause mode. That would accomplish the same thing although not as elegantly. I wonder if the Pause time value is in the microcode, therefore possibly subject to change, or if it is in the hardware. I would bet that it’s in the microcode.

Somewhat hesitant about this but there is firmware update for your 5900 and in fact you may already have the latest update found here:

The reason being, I don’t do firmware updates myself unless it is a special case.
Indeed it may fix somethings and then break others.

Not that this will help your situation but I bought a cheap LG BPM33 and indeed it is very cheap, especially compared to my old panny 2011 model 310.
Yet it does play rewrapped blu-ray files into mkv well…doesn’t do the chapters but seems to pause well enough and it has an onscreen info/menu page that can advance the movie easily in 1 minute increments.
Through the keypad, any increment can be entered and it advances to that position.
My inboard media player in my Samsung tv does similar to your BD player in that if it is paused to long, it will drop the connection to the hard drive but it has a feature that will allow it to advance to the last previous play position, which is nice.
But it doesn’t do chapters in mkv either, it can advance in fast play increments.

My idea is that these media players are a simple form of a linux distro though I suppose Samsung could make their own operating system for media play.

All of these players are somewhat after thoughts in that they can be picky in what they play and the feature sets are generally limited.

There is a media player that I was tempted to buy but it is around 140+ yet it supposed to play about anything one can throw at it.

He can also check to see if the MKV files have a constant frame rate. I have a LG player and had a similar problem with Variable frame rate MKV’s. Remux with Handbrake. C/P: When you open HandBrake you will be presented with a screen with multiple tabs. On the right hand side there are presets available which have settings ideal for various players (like iPod, AppleTV, etc.).
Click on the High Profile preset.
Under Output Settings, change MP4 to MKV.
On the Picture tab, select Anamorphic to Loose and cropping to automatic.
On the Video Filters tab select Detelecine:Default, Decomb:Default. Deinterlace off and denoise off. Deblock slider to the far left. Grayscale Encoding unticked.
Video tab should have Video Codec set to H.264, Framerate same as source and Quality set to Constant Quality. The slider denotes the quality of the encode, the higher the quality, the larger the output file.

^Um, you’re a bit backward on the slider controls there. Default setting on the Constant Quality RF is 20, and the lower the number, the higher the quality and larger the files.

I wouldn’t advise anyone to use a setting above 24, and the default setting for my custom profile in Handbrake is 18 on CRF. But I don’t care about file size.
I also use the Slow preset on the X264 encoder slide.

Your right Kerry. I edited my post.