Samsung 850 PRO 1TB SSD Review

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following review: Samsung 850 PRO 1TB SSD Review[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/06/drive-top-tiny.jpg[/newsimage]

Samsung’s new 850 PRO 1TB SSD is the worlds first consumer grade SSD to use 3D V-NAND, promising much higher NAND endurance and better performance, and a 10 year warranty to boot.

But how does it perform?
Let’s find out in this review.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/samsung-850-pro-1tb-ssd-review-72135](http://www.myce.com/review/samsung-850-pro-1tb-ssd-review-72135)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Nice.
I can’t wait for the mini pcie/msata version!

The vector finally has some real competition :slight_smile:

The new version of The Magician is also excellent, they increased system RAM caching with RAPID to 4GB. Big difference, works with the 840 Pro also.

Great review!
For me personally,this was a VERY interesting observation from this excellent review:

However, the 850 Pro has much better sustainable performance when pushed very hard.

People who do a lot of encoding and image editing will love this…:iagree:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2730959]Great review!
For me personally,this was a VERY interesting observation from this excellent review:

People who do a lot of encoding and image editing will love this…:iagree:[/QUOTE]
The review was awesome, there are so many ups to this new SSD, plus a 1TB capacity, and we all know the MSRP will come down in about a month. :wink:

The highlight for me is the V-NAND, which IMO is a huge step in the right direction.
It gives much better endurance and much improved sustainable performance.

Most recent SSDs that I’ve reviewed have shown improved sustainable performance, since SSDs, performance wise, have been hitting the max that SATA 6Gbps can do anyway, and yes, Vector has met its match in regards to sustainable performance.

[QUOTE=Dee;2731009]The highlight for me is the V-NAND, which IMO is a huge step in the right direction.
It gives much better endurance and much improved sustainable performance.

Most recent SSDs that I’ve reviewed have shown improved sustainable performance, since SSDs, performance wise, have been hitting the max that SATA 6Gbps can do anyway, and yes, Vector has met its match in regards to sustainable performance.[/QUOTE]

Posted By Wendy

and yes, Vector has met its match in regards to sustainable performance

Coming from you this is quite a statement. Now Toshiba has its hands full, you know they will be trying to keep up with Samsung, so lets see what the next move is.;)

The Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD currently costs over 700 US Dollars which is certainly overpriced.

[QUOTE=Auzzie Kid;2731127]The Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD currently costs over 700 US Dollars which is certainly overpriced.[/QUOTE]
Its just been launched, give it a month to compete with the 960GB Sandisk Extreme Pro , and it will be less than 600. 10 year warranty, worth every dime.

Yes I am going to buy the new 1TB 850 Pro, but I would love to see a comparison, benchmark with the 840 Pro 512GB and the 1TB 850 Pro.

I updated the article with official pricing information.

@Alan
With the new RAPID mode, you’re basically only benchmarking the speed of your system RAM.
To get a true representation of the speed you need to run something like Futuremarks PCMark 8 (storage suite) benchmark.

You can then compare what you get with the 840 PRO with my result on the 850 PRO

[QUOTE=Dee;2731817]@Alan
With the new RAPID mode, you’re basically only benchmarking the speed of your system RAM.
To get a true representation of the speed you need to run something like Futuremarks PCMark 8 (storage suite) benchmark.

You can then compare what you get with the 840 PRO with my result on the 850 PRO

http://www.myce.com/review/samsung-850-pro-1tb-ssd-review-72135/rapid-mode-vs-normal-mode-11/[/QUOTE]

Hi Wendy:
After I posted that silly benchmark above, I always knew that the Magician was not an accurate benchmark even with Rapid Mode or Not Rapid Mode. I have come to the conclusion, the only reason I would want to upgrade my 512GB 840 Pro or my 1TB EVO, would have been for noticeably faster speeds, and from all of your benches I can’t see that much of a difference to spend another 729.00 on a 1TB 850 Pro. The 512 840 Pros can be had now for 300 USD, and the Vector 150 480 GB for way less, I would have to think twice before upgrading to this SSD, [B][U]but for the people that have not yet bought an SSD, this is surely the one to buy. Thanks for a great review.[/U][/B]