Samsung 840 EVO SSD performance issues resolved with new firmware update

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Samsung 840 EVO SSD performance issues resolved with new firmware update[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2012/09/Samsung-840-SSD.jpg[/newsimage]

Samsung will release a new firmware later this month that should solve the persisting performance issues of the 840 EVO SSDs.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/samsung-840-evo-ssd-performance-issues-resolved-with-new-firmware-update-75775/](http://www.myce.com/news/samsung-840-evo-ssd-performance-issues-resolved-with-new-firmware-update-75775/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Does this issue affect all 840 SSDs inevitably or is it a hit or miss thing? I have 2-3 of these SSDs and I have not really recognized any such problems so far.

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2752176]Does this issue affect all 840 SSDs inevitably or is it a hit or miss thing? I have 2-3 of these SSDs and I have not really recognized any such problems so far.[/QUOTE]Only the EVOs and if you have three of them you want to make sure to do the fix they will slow down.

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2752176]Does this issue affect all 840 SSDs inevitably or is it a hit or miss thing? I have 2-3 of these SSDs and I have not really recognized any such problems so far.[/QUOTE] You notice it after a certain amount of writes, just upgrade the firmware with the Samsung Magician and you will be fine. Its painless. LOL
:wink:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the issue mainly was for people who had these drives in systems that were powered off for weeks/months at a time and then tried to use them again and encountered this issue.

[QUOTE=ilnot1;2752251]Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the issue mainly was for people who had these drives in systems that were powered off for weeks/months at a time and then tried to use them again and encountered this issue.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. All that’s required is writing a file, never opening it/updating it for a long time (so you never refresh the stored charge), and eventually the stored charge might droop just enough that it triggers the aggressive read retry bug. It doesn’t drop so much that the data is lost, but the drive’s firmware has to be sure it isn’t getting bad data.

But turning off a system and not using the drive for a while (while it has data stored on it) follows the general formula to run across this issue.

This issue seems to be a bit hit or miss.
It doesn’t affect all drives. I have 4 840 EVO’s here, 2x SATA 2x mSATA, and can’t replicate the issue on any of them.

A new firmware should be able to fix this quite easily, now that Samsung know what causes the slowdown to occur.

[QUOTE=Dee;2752255]This issue seems to be a bit hit or miss.
It doesn’t affect all drives. I have 4 840 EVO’s here, 2x SATA 2x mSATA, and can’t replicate the issue on any of them.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it’s because you know how to treat your hardware, whereas others don’t. You are quite the storage expert, after all. :wink:

(Or maybe your usage patterns & other environmental factors just don’t make the drive fall into its low-performance state, I dunno.)

[QUOTE=alan1476;2752248]You notice it after a certain amount of writes, just upgrade the firmware with the Samsung Magician and you will be fine. Its painless. LOL
;)[/QUOTE]
No bugs in the new version I hope :stuck_out_tongue: