Same times at 12X and 16X, different qualitity

vbimport

Hello,

When I burn a MAM-E 8X (MID: YUDENT000T02) at 16X, the total burning time is about 7 minutes (just under 7 to be more precise). The results aren’t to good.
When I burn the same discs at 12X, the burning time is a little shorter (closer to 6.30) and the KProbe-scans are much better! I already noticed that the burning speed never exceeds 12.3X when burning at 16X. The max-speed when burning at 12X is 11.7X.
I think this is a strange issue :confused:

Here are the scans:

Burned at 16X

Burned at 12X

P.S. I use a 1620 OEM with B7U9 FW. I did several burns with the same result before posting here.

Why strange issue? makes perfect sense to me.
Your system and setup are not capable burning much over 12, maybe pushing a little more.

If you can spare another blank, please use Nero CD-DVD Speed test program and do Create Data Disc, and post the image (use button to make image).
I guess you’ll see clean curve to about 12X and then some fluctuations.

ewwwwww, you said qualit i t y…

It’s not all that strange.

1. your media can’t be written at more than 12X
  2. you don’t have 16x bandwidth available.

Using Cd-Speed do the Burst Interface Rate test F6. You need 22MB/SEC to write 16X.

If you are getting this then I’d suggest you use Neroinfotool and attach that text file to a message here. You don’t need to provide the link, as they display automatically.

I’d do the above before wasting a blank.

The system is running out of “speed” at 16X. Defrag, better hard drive, and/or faster CPU may help. Burning at 16X will always result in shorter storage life of the media. I burn at 4X-8X.

I’m interested to see some literature about this. Any link furballi?

zevia > You going to pick up somemore Verbatim 16X at BB for $11.99? Good price.

[/quote]
I’ll second this request.
furballi, you are stating this all over the forums.
Will you please show your proof or state this as an “IMHO”.

Maybe, I still have 4 x 25packs unopened… :slight_smile:

are the verbatim 16x better as +R or -R…there made in Taiwan correct

Based on professional experience. Learn the physics behind DVD burning and you will understand why SPEED is bad for long storage life.

Poor media will often fail at higher speed. With higher grade media, the margin of safety will also decrease with higher burn speed.

This not seem to make any clear sense…if the disc is rated for a given speed it should perform as advertised…overburning always has a risk of a bad burn…

now how does data burned at 16x become less reliable…please educate us

what do you mean Long storage life…10yrs, 15 yrs , 25 yrs???

seems to be no one know what Long term storage will yield…dvd/ cd writables have not been out long enough with new technology on increasing burn speeds…

also in 10 yrs or 20yrs will there be optical device to read these older media…if not the info will need to be transferred periodically …

Well, when DVD burners first came out, what speed where they at? 1X or 2X.
Why? my guess that the drive manufacturers had to find ways to make them more reliable at higher speeds incrementally improving, and not lack of proper media, these can show up later.
Also, why some people say that 16X is the theoretical max speed? because the media spinning can break and shatter at higher speeds than 16X.

So, my guess is that the top burning speed of a drive is pushing the technological state-of-the-art for mass-produced consumer devices sold cheap under $80. (Pro equipement might be more reliable.) You might find a well made drive and super good media and take chances. Some cautious people will not burn full disc, leaving off the last mega bytes for reason that that area might be less durable, this is the area burnt at 16X on the less stable outer edge of the disc.

Now, burning movie backup is not where we are normally looking for reliability and longevity, there are millions of same product in the world, and being converted to analog for viewing, we might experience some glitch, not loss of “real” archived data. But some posters here spend 3-4 hours trying to get better quality of the video, then save 2 minutes on the burn.

As for media it is the same, manufacrueres need to make improvements to get to the higher certified speed. And you also have to have faith the there is absolute consistancy between batches of blanks and even discs on same spindle.

As for longevity? there was a thread going couple of weeks ago.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=128395&highlight=longevity

looked at the thread and there is no clear answer…also the variable quality even from good manufacturers seems to be increasing and I doubt speed will be the issue as much as dye quality…I do agree with consumer prices going down it is not fair to compare a $80 unit to pro unit ($$$$)

I think the real issue is quality of the drive and media…with prices dropping maybe it is “unfair” for us to expect longevity…LOL
I do not agree with this statement but it maybe a fact of life